Chapter 45

NO ONE'S POV

Clary was sitting by Luke, who had been injured in the attack. Due to his werewolf healing, he was healing fairly quickly, however, he had still been sedated so he could get some rest.
"Luke." She said, sighing in relief as she saw his eyes open, albeit only slightly.
"Tell me we got him." He said.
"Yeah." She nodded, her eyes shining. "How are you feeling?" She asked.
"Better now that you're okay and Valentine's locked up." He replied. Suddenly, Simon appeared behind Clary.
"Oh, no. Luke, are you okay?" He said, concerned for his friend. Luke didn't answer, but murmured an incoherent noise in his sleep.
"He's been sedated." Clary answered for him.
"Clary I know it's not a good time, but there's something I have to show you." Simon said, taking her hand
"Simon, will you tell me what's going on?" Clary asked curiously. Simon led her to the door.
"It's a surprise." He said, still holding her hand.
"What are you doing? The sun's up, you can't. Wait. Simon!" The door opened and Simon stepped out, laughing as he looked back at his best friend. "How?" Clary asked in disbelief as she followed her best friend down the front steps of the Institute.
"I mean, does it matter?" Simon asked, elated that he could finally walk in the sunlight again, feel its warmth on his face, and that he would no longer have to hide in the darkness. He picked Clary up and spun her around as they laughed together. Clary noticed Jace, looking sad, standing in the doorway. Simon followed her gaze.
"Jace? Is everything ok?" She asked.
"I think I know why Simon can walk in the sun again." Jace told them. That phrase caught both Simon and Clary's attention.
"Why?" Simon and Clary asked at the same time.
"He drank my blood." Jace stated simply. "I have pure Angel blood, like Clary, and I let you drink my blood to save your life." He revealed. Both Simon and Clary's eyes widened.
"If any other vampires found out that they could walk in the sun by drinking your blood you'd be dead within a week." Simon said. "Don't worry, I promise I won't tell anyone."
"Thank you Simon." Jace replied. Simon's eyes widened at Jace calling him by his name. To escape the situation, Jace then went back inside, not telling Clary what he had been planning to in that moment. He knew Alec was right and the longer he waited, the more difficult it would be for both of them, but he just couldn't do it in that moment. She was happy, and he didn't want to ruin that, but each moment that she didn't know was killing him inside.

BEN'S POV

I had retreated to my room to escape from all the drama and events of the past few months. I've endured so much pain lately, but I would never share it because I didn't want to burden anyone else with my problems. Alec and Izzy would probably scold me for bottling everything up, but I can't help it. I don't want to burden people with my problems when they already have their own to worry about. I was currently lying on my bed staring up at the ceiling lost in my thoughts that I didn't even hear anyone come in up until I heard a voice next to my bed.
"Ben?" He asked. I turned my head and looked at him, my vacant expression did not change as I did so. Alec frowned, immediately knowing something was wrong. "What's wrong?" He inquired. I let out a long sigh.
"For me, the only thing that's right is having all my siblings, bar Max, together." I said, staring up at the ceiling again.
"Ok. Sit up. We're having a talk about this." Alec suggested, sitting down next to me and helping me to sit up.
"You really wanna know what's wrong?" I asked, but didn't give him time to answer. "Well, let's see. In the space of the last three months, I've been kidnapped, tortured, almost had my heart ripped out, had everything turned upside down by the appearance of Valentine's daughter, our parents almost forced you to marry, Izzy was on trial and almost de-runed, Jace was branded as a traitor and had to live at Magnus' loft until his name was cleared, and I found out that our father is cheating on our mother!" I ranted. "Have I missed anything?!" I was breathing heavily by this point and my chest had started hurting slightly as well. Alec began rubbing my back in a calming motion.
"Feel better?" He asked, knowing that I was ranting, not actually angry with him or Magnus, who, I had just noticed, was also in the room.
"No, I don't." I replied. He looked at me and raised his eyebrows. "Ok, maybe a little." I reiterated. I then looked at Magnus. "Sorry you had to see that Magnus." I apologised. He walked over and sat down on my other side.
"You don't need to apologise Ben. I completely understand. You've been through so much over the past couple of months and you don't deserve any of the pain you have endured." Magnus said kindly. I smiled softly at him, but before I could say anything, he continued. "I am more than happy to make you a potion that you can take each day that, along with your healing rune, will both relieve the pain and heal your wound because it seems like the runes alone are not healing it." He offered.
"If you could do that, that would be amazing." I said, grateful for the offer. He smiled at me.
"Of course. It'll probably take me a day or two to brew it though as I am not quite sure that I have all the ingredients, but I will get it to you as soon as I can." He replied.
"That's alright. Whenever you get the chance." I replied. I am grateful for the fact that he is doing this for me in the first place. He put his hand on my knee and smiled. I smiled back. I had a great respect for Magnus. He has done so much for my brother and for my family, and I don't think I could ever repay him for it.
"What's on your mind Ben?" Alec asked, obviously noticing my far off expression. I looked at him and smiled.
"Just thinking about how much respect I have for Magnus and how much he has done for our family, and all the while, never requesting any payment." I said. I then looked at Magnus, who smiled back at me.
"I am in a relationship with your brother. What kind of partner would I be if I did not offer free services to his family?" Magnus asked with a smile. I smiled back, not saying a word, as I knew none were needed.