Chapter 60

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SOME GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS OF TORTURE. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THAT, SKIP DOWN TO "JACE'S POV" - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

----

NO ONE'S POV

Ben groaned, slowly regaining consciousness. He looked up to see the Seelie that Jace had had a very on/off relationship with – Kaelie.
"Awake already?" She asked.
"Come near me and I'll kill you." Ben sneered.
"Shadowhunters need to feel what it's like to lose the ones that they love. My brother Samuel was all I had in this world and now he's gone! Thanks to your brother, Jace." She said, her voice low at the last sentence.
"Jace didn't do anything! The Downworlders chose to be involved in the fight in the Institute." Ben defended his Jace.
"It was his idea!" Kaelie exclaimed.
"He was manipulated by Valentine." Ben said, attempting to defend Jace. Kaelie just rolled her eyes, not believing him.
"Ben!" A small voice called. Ben looked to the side to see that Max was tied to the wall. It then dawned on him. Kaelie was going to make Max watch as she tortured and killed Ben.
"It's ok Max, everything's gonna be fine." Ben said in a vain attempt to try to calm his little brother.
Ben watched as Kaelie picked up a pair of scissors and walked over to him. By the sadistic look on her face, he knew there was no way he was going to come out of this alive. He pulled against his restraints in a futile attempt to free himself. Kaelie grabbed the hem of his shirt and began cutting up the middle, pulling each of the sides apart to reveal his bare torso. She then walked over to a table, putting the scissors down and picking up a scalpel. She walked over to him and scanned his torso, as if deciding which rune to carve out first. Her eyes zoned on his Iratze rune. The moment the scalpel entered his body, Ben screamed in agony. This was by far the most painful thing he had ever endured. More than the torture from Valentine, more than Izzy's hand forcing it's way into his chest, and certainly more than any injury, demonic or otherwise.

After what felt like forever, Ben vaguely heard the voice of his sister, but through the pain and screaming, he didn't know whether it was real or a hallucination due to the pain.

ISABELLE'S POV

The first thing I heard was screaming. But not just any screams, screams of complete and total agony. When we got to the room, I saw a Seelie standing over Ben, who was tied to a metal table, attempting to cut out one of his runes. I snapped my whip to get her attention. She looked up and towards the sound of my whip, and I saw that it was Kaelie.
"One more move and you're dead." I snarled.
"It's over, Kaelie!" Meliorn snapped.
"The Shadowhunters led us into a massacre. Why are you on their side?" Kaelie demanded.
"It is not a matter of sides, Kaelie, it is a matter of what is right." Meliorn retorted. With that, a fight started.
I ran over to Ben and undid his restraints. I could tell he was delirious and barely conscious, so I tried my best not to move him too much. He was bleeding badly from where his Iratze rune had been carved out, and Kaelie had started on his Angelic rune, so I got out my stele and drew new ones for both, hoping that the Iratze would at least start healing his wound as well as stop the bleeding. I looked up and saw that Kaelie was stalking towards Meliorn, a blade in her hand. I took out my seraph blade and threw it at her. It buried itself in her back, going straight through her. Once I knew she was dead, I ran over to Max, untying him as well. He hugged me and mumbled an apology. I looked over at Meliorn and Raphael and saw them standing over Kaelie's dead body.
"We have to get Ben back to the Institute." I said, grabbing everyone's attention. "He had his Iratze rune carved out so I had to draw a new one, but I don't have enough tools here to heal him properly here." I added. Meliorn and Raphael nodded, helping me get Max and Ben back to the Institute.

*At the Institute*

I wheeled an unconscious Ben through the door and into the Ops Centre. Everyone looked towards us, Jace and Alec included.
"What happened?" Jace asked seriously, walking over to us.
"Ben was attacked. Luckily, I got to him before she could carve out any more runes, but she had already carved out his Iratze rune and had started on his Angelic rune." I explained.
"Alec, take Max to his room, Izzy, call take Ben to the infirmary and start working on him. I'll call Magnus and ask if he can come and help." Jace said, taking charge of the situation.

*Two hours later – Jace, Alec, and Izzy in Jace's office*

JACE'S POV

Izzy, Alec, and I were around my office talking about what Izzy had found what she, Meliorn, and Raphael had found Kaelie, Ben, and Max.
"She had everything: Werewolf claws, vampire fangs, Seelie blades. She used it to make it look like a Downworld uprising." Izzy reported.
"The question is, why?" I said.
"We're not sure. But it has to go beyond covering her tracks." Alec stated.
"I agree." Izzy said, a frown on her face.
"That's great work, Iz." I complimented her with a smile. But it soon faded when another thought came to mind. "How's Ben?" I asked after our brother.
"He'll live, Magnus is with him now, but it'll take time." Alec told me.
"Max?" I asked.
"Understandably shaken after seeing Ben tortured, but he'll be ok." Izzy said.
"I remember how it felt when I saw Ben being tortured by Valentine. It must be so much worse for Max considering how young he is." I added. I made eye contact with Alec briefly. He knew that there was more to it, but Izzy didn't know, or, at least we thought she didn't. "We'll keep investigating Kaelie. But in the meantime, my first official act as Head of the Institute is going to be somewhat controversial, so I'm gonna need your help. You're taking over." I said, a smile making its way onto my face.
"The Seelie investigation?" Alec asked. I smiled at him.
"No. I mean you, Alec Lightwood, are now the Head of the New York Institute." I stated, a grin on my face. After a brief second of confusion on Alec's face, he looked down at Izzy, who was smiling brightly. She stood up and Alec looked back at me, a huge smile on his face. The smile on Alec's face was heartwarming, and I could feel the happiness emanating from him through our bond.
"Can you do that?" He asked with a smile.
"Yeah. I mean, like you said, being a Herondale comes with certain perks. Naming a successor is one of them. You were right. Downworlders and Shadowhunters, we're all a mix of human, angel and demon. If we let the Clave forget that we deserve a revolt. I'll always be a soldier. But you're a leader, Alec." I told him, putting my hand on his shoulder. When I dropped my hand, he looked briefly at Izzy, and then back to me.
"I have your first assignment." He said.
"Bring it." I challenged teasingly.
"Remove any and all trackers from Downworlder's necks." Alec stated. "In the meantime, I need to go and talk to Magnus, and go check on Ben." He added. We all smiled and exited his office. I am so happy I can now say that.

ALEC'S POV

I was shocked at Jace making me Head of the Institute. I am so grateful to him for it. I made my way towards the infirmary to see my brother and boyfriend. As soon as I entered, Magnus looked up.
"Magnus, you were right. You never have to prove yourself to me. I love you." I immediately said.
"I love you, too." He replied as I sat down beside him, kissing him on the lips.
"How's Ben?" I asked after we separated.
"He'll live. It'll take time for him to fully heal, but he should make a full recovery eventually." Magnus replied. I looked at Ben's sleeping face, unable to look at his torso and the area where he was injured.