Chapter 5

*Two days later*

CLARY'S POV

So many things have happened at the Institute lately and I need to get away.  Due to the fact that no one was telling me anything, my mother almost killed my brother, and, according to Alec, I did not belong at the Institute, I decided to just leave.  Even though Isabelle had told me that she didn't feel the same way as Alec, and that she would always be there for me, it wasn't the same.  I went the Brooklyn Academy of Art to just draw, to paint, and to get my mind off everything.  I was listening to music whilst painting when I noticed someone coming up behind me.  They started talking to me but I didn't listen.  I knew it was probably my mother or maybe Isabelle trying to get me to come back to the Institute, a place where I did not want to go.  Someone tapped me on the shoulder and I turned around only to be faced with my mother and Luke.
"You have to come back to the Institute, it's not safe."  My Mum said.
"So what?  You're on her side now?"  I asked Luke.
"There are no sides."  Luke replied.
"So you're ok with her trying to kill Jace?"  I fired back.
"I didn't say that.  But you're mother's right, you need to get back to the Institute."  Luke reasoned.
"I can't help Jace.  I don't have enough training.  Even if I did, I'm Valentine's daughter.  Nobody there trusts me.  For 18 years, you made me believe that I could live a normal life."  I snapped at both of them, especially my mother.  I then turned around raising my arms briefly.  "This life."  I then turn back around to face them.  "But I can't, can I?  No, because I'm not a mundane.  I'm not a Shadowhunter, I'm not anything."  I snapped, before walking out of the room.  I walked out of the Academy to see someone I never expected to see again.  Someone I knew to be dead.
"Dot?  I thought you were dead.  What happened to you?"  I asked, seeing what looked like black veins outlining her face.
"Clary!"  I heard my mother call.  I turned around only to feel Dot grab my hand.
"Dot, what's going on?"  I asked her, confused.
"Clary!  No!"  I heard before Dot pulled me through a portal.
We appeared on what appeared to be a ship.  I knew immediately where we were.
"What are you doing here?  You're working for Valentine?  How could you?"  I exclaimed, feeling betrayed.
"Valentine's misunderstood."  Dot said.  Before I could say anything in reply, Valentine appeared.
"Ah, Clarissa, nice to see you again."  He said in an airy tone.  I glowered at him.
"I'll never join or help you."  I seethed.  He smirked.
"We'll see."  Valentine said eerily.  "Take her to the cells."  He ordered
I was dragged down to a different part of the ship.  One of the men who were escorting me down here flung a door open and pushed me in.  He then shut the door behind me, locking it, and walking away.  I knew it would be pointless to try and open it, so I didn't even try.
"You know you're not getting out of here anytime soon so I wouldn't bother trying."  I heard a voice, which sounded eerily familiar say.  I turned around to see a figure was sitting against the back wall, chains around his wrists and ankles.  He seemed to be very tall, even though he was sitting down, with raven black hair, and piercing hazel eyes.  I knew him anywhere.
"Alec?"  I asked, shock on my face.  Last I knew, Alec was back at the Institute.
"No, I'm not Alec.  I'm his twin brother, Ben."  He said, a slight smile on his face.  "But I can understand the confusion.  We do look exactly the same."  He added with a smile.  "My question is, who are you?"  He inquired.
"My name's Clary.  I'm Jace's sister."  I replied.
"You're Jace's sister?  I didn't think he had a sister.  Other than Isabelle."  Ben exclaimed, clearly surprised at what I had to say.  "Well you'll see him soon.  He comes and visits me every night."
"We can get him to help us then."  I said, my voice partially optimistic.

*A while later*

I had been talking to Ben quite a bit over the past couple of hours, and we had become quite good friends.  I hadn't told him everything that had happened as I thought I wouldn't really be the best person to do that, but I noticed that he was very different from Alec.  Sure, they looked exactly the same, but Ben was outgoing and optimistic than Alec.  He was really nice. 
"So how long have you been here?"  I asked.
"For me, it seems like forever, but according to Jace, it's been over a month."  He replied.
"And you still haven't said anything?"  I asked in an impressed tone.
"You doubt me?"  He asked jokingly.  I could tell by the cheeky smirk on his face.
"No!  I was just wondering."  I said hastily, hoping I hadn't insulted him.
"It's cool.  But no, I haven't.  I'm not easily broken."  He said with a sad smile.
Suddenly, we heard the door unlock and open.  Our heads snapped forwards and I saw Jace.  He was looking down with some food in his hands.
"Ben, I brought you some-" He looked up but stopped mid-sentence when he saw me.  "Clary?  What are you doing here?"  He asked, a mixture of curiosity and shock in his voice.
"I was captured by Dot, but since I wouldn't say or do anything, Valentine decided to throw me in the cells.  I've just been getting to know Ben before you got here."  I explained.
"I have to get you out of here.  Both of you."  He said urgently.
"How do you propose we do that?"  I asked sassily.
"I don't know yet, but we'll figure something out.  I promise."  Jace said seriously.  Just then Dot walked in.
"Dorathea."  Ben stated.  We all looked over at Dot.
"Hello Ben.  It's good to see you again."  She said to Ben.  She then turned to Jace.  "I would ask what you are doing down here Jace, but am fairly certain it's obvious."  She added.
"Dot, what is going on?  What did you do to me?"  I asked.
"I'm so sorry Clary."  She said with a sad face.
"What do you want from me anyway?"  I asked.
"Valentine wants me cast a spell on you so you'll do as I say."  She said.  Jace stood protectively between her and me, and Ben did his best to do the same, unfortunately, his chains and injuries prevented him from doing much.
"No, Dot!  No please, you don't have to do this."  I said.
"If I don't, he'll get angry, we don't want that."  She replied.
"Dot, remember when I got grounded?  When my Mum realised I went to see Simon's band?  You brought me gelato from little Italy to cheer me up.  I will never forget that."  I said, attempting to stall her.  She paused, obviously remembering the moment.
"It wasn't from little Italy.  It was from Rome."  She revealed nostalgically.
"See, you were like a big sister to me.  Dot, you have always had my back no matter what."  I told her.
"Why did you stop looking for me?"  She asked, the hurt in her eyes was obvious by now.  I paused.
"Magnus couldn't feel your magic anymore.  We thought Valentine had killed you."  I told her, my voice soft.  If I had known she was alive, I wouldn't have given up until I found her.
"No.  He just experimented on me."  She told me.  That explains the black veins.
"Dot.  Please.  Help me.  We may not be able to go back to the way things were, but it doesn't have to be like this."  I said in a mildly bargaining tone.
"You don't understand.  He will find us."  She told me.
"We will stay with Magnus.  Hide behind his wards."  I offered.  She paused and looked at me, tempted by my offer.  "Please Dot."  I begged.
She took a deep breath in and out before nodding her head.
"Ok.  You three go, but I need to stay here."  Dot told us.
"No, you're coming with us!"  I protested. 
"This isn't up for discussion Clary, I'm staying here, I cannot leave, but I can help you."  She added.
"How?"  I asked.
"I'll make a portal and you guys go through it."  She said.  She could tell I was about to say something so she shut me down.  "No ifs, buts, or maybes.  You're going.  Now help Ben up."  She ordered. 
We broke Ben's chains, and then Jace and I helped Ben up, each of us grabbing his chains so he could walk but they wouldn't drag along the ground and make too much noise.  It was the middle of the night, so not many people should be awake.
"You guys get going."  I said.  "I need to stay here."  Jace said.
"No way in hell Jace.  You're coming with us whether you like it or not."  Ben commanded.  Jace just sighed, knowing that he wouldn't win this argument.  Dot opened a portal and the four of us agreed that we would go to Magnus' apartment.  Whilst Jace and I supported Ben, the three of us walked towards the portal.  I then turned to Dot.
"Thank you Dot.  We'll never forget this."  I thanked her.
"Say hello to your Mum, Luke, and Magnus for me.  Now go before someone notices Jace and I are gone."  She said with a smile.  I nodded.  With that, Ben, Jace, and I walked through the portal.