Chapter 26

*At the base of the Adamas Citadel – Clary and Izzy exit Portal*

CLARY'S POV

Izzy and I stepped through the portal that would take us to the Adamas Citadel.  We looked around at the mountain we had just stepped onto and our eyes wandered up to the huge Citadel sitting atop the mountain we were currently at the foot of.  I glanced at Izzy and saw that she was completely in awe.
"Woah.  This is even more amazing than I imagined."  Izzy said as we gazed up at the Citadel, up on the mountaintop.  She is right though.
"Let's begin the climb."  I said.  Izzy smiled and we made our way up the mountain towards the Citadel.

*Going into the compound*

"I can't believe I'm actually going inside."  Izzy said as we walked through the gates.  A loud sound suddenly blasted which sounded like someone whistling.  Suddenly, we were surrounded by a group of Iron Sisters, all pointing swords at us.
"Speak your names."  One of the Iron Sisters ordered.
"Isabelle Lightwood."  Izzy announced.  I paused for a moment.
"Clary Fairchild."  I said.
"Valentine's daughter."  Another Iron Sister stated.
"Your father killed the Silent Brothers.  He's taken our most valuable weapon.  You must leave immediately."  The first Iron Sister spoke again.
"Clary's done nothing wrong."
"Allow me?"  Another stated.  "What answers do you seek?"  She asked, still pointing her sword at us.
"Why did Valentine go to all that trouble to steal the Soul Sword?"  I asked.  The second Iron Sister looked at the first, and the first shook her head slightly.
"Yes, Valentine is my father, but that man kidnapped my mother, experimented on my brother, I want to stop him more than anyone.  If we have any chance at defeating him, we need your help."  I stated strongly.  Finally, the Iron Sisters lowered their swords and begun to introduce themselves.
"I am Sister Magdalena."  The first Iron Sister introduced herself.  She had an air of authority about her, which made her seem like she held a senior position in the order.
"I am Sister Cleophas."  The second Iron Sister told us.  With that, Sister Cleophas and Sister Magdalena began leading us through the grounds.
"Sister Cleophas, how long have you been in the order?"  Izzy asked.
"14 beautiful years.  I never planned on following in my mother's footsteps.  I was living happily in Idris with my sister Amadis when my brother Lucian was scratched in a werewolf attack.  I did what I had to do to restore our family's honour."  Sister Cleophas replied, telling her story.
"Do you mean Luke?  Are you Luke's sister?"  I asked.
"I am."  Sister Cleophas replied.
"We must begin the Purity Trial."  Sister Magdalena announced.  I noticed that our walk had taken us to a pool of water.
"What's that?"  I asked curiously.
"For the answers you seek, you must go inside the Citadel.  But we cannot allow any demonic impurities to pass.  The adamas is too fragile."  Sister Cleophas explained.
"The heavenly energy in the water will help us determine if you may enter.  It will destroy any contaminant upon contact."  Sister Magdalena added.  Another one of the Iron Sisters came up to Izzy and I and gave us a dress each to wear for the Purity trial.

*Purity trial*

ISABELLE'S POV

"Clary, you can't do this."  I said, worried for my friend.
"Why not?"  Clary asked curiously.
"You heard her.  It's dangerous."  I said.
"The water only effects demonic energy.  We'll be fine."  Clary said in a vain attempt to calm me.
"But what if it's not fine?"  I asked.
"You think I have demon blood?  Like Jace."  She said.  She then took her shoes off.  "There's only one way to find out."  Clary said before walking down the stairs and laying down in the pool. 
"Ignis aurum probat."  Sister Magdalena said.
The pool bubbled slightly then let of an almost blinding, beautiful, white, angelic energy.  When it finally died down, Clary sat up, a neutral expression on her face.  "Clary Fairchild, you are deemed clear of all demonic impurities."  Sister Magdalena announced as Clary sat up.  She then ascended the stairs.  Clary got up to me and smile, letting me know everything was alright.  I descended the stairs and copied her movements.
"Ignis aurum probat."  Sister Magdalena said.  The pool bubbled slightly then let off beautiful, white, angelic energy.  It wasn't quite as bright as Clary's, which confused me a bit, but I brushed it off.  When it finally died down, I got up and ascended the stairs.  "Isabelle Lightwood, you are deemed clear of all demonic impurities."  Sister Magdalena announced. 

*After the Purity Trial*

Clary and I dried ourselves off and got changed back into our regular clothes before meeting Sister Cleophas at the entrance to the Citadel.  I can't believe I am going inside.  This has been my dream since I was little.
As soon as we the three of us entered, I was entranced.  It was so beautiful.  Even though 90% of my attention was on the conversation that was going on, but there was a small part of me (the other 10%) that was silently in awe
"Sister Cleophas, I don't want to scare you, but I'm worried.  It's Luke."  Clary said.
"Lucian?"  She asked, frowning slightly.
"He's the closest thing I've ever had to a father.  But since my mother moved to Idris, Luke has gone missing.  He's not returning calls, he's not showing up to work, no one has seen or heard from him.  He wasn't allowed to go with her."
"He did love her.  Lucian always had a strong sense of loyalty.  Almost to his detriment. My sweet girl, I fear you are right, my brother is in danger.  But not for the reasons you think."
"What kind of danger?"  Clary asked curiously.
"Follow me."  Sister Cleophas said.
We were taken into a large, open room with a high ceiling, swords and weapons hanging on the wall, and designs on the ceiling.  It was beautiful.  In the middle of the floor was a large white circle with a rune in the middle.  Sister Cleophas touched her stele to the rune and we looked up at the ceiling.  In a circle on the ceiling, a scene began to form.
"Long ago, the Angel Raziel bestowed the Mortal Instruments to the first Shadowhunter, among them, the Soul-Sword.  Its primary purpose is to compel the truth, but it has a secondary purpose.  If ever the day came where Shadowhunters failed in their holy mission, and demons overtook the world.  As a last resort, the Sword could be activated with angelic energy, releasing heavenly light that will destroy demon-blooded creatures in its path."  Sister Cleophas explained.
"By the Angel."  I whispered, looking up at the scene. 
"Demon-blooded creatures.  Does that mean?"  I heard Clary ask.  I looked back at them.
"Downworlders.  Yes."  Sister Cleophas finished for her.
"You said the Sword needs angelic energy?"  I asked.
"To activate the Sword, it must wielded by an angelic being, and struck by a bolt of lightning."  She explained.
"Then it's capable of mass murder.  Of killing my friends, my family."  Clary stated.  "If Valentine does activate the Sword, how do we turn it off?"  She continued.
"It is impossible."  Sister Cleophas replied, a sad look on her face.
"So there has to be a way to stop Valentine before he activates it.  I can't lose Luke, too."  Clary said desperately.  My thoughts immediately went to Magnus and Alec, who were currently on their long overdue date.  How badly would it affect Alec if Magnus were to die? 
Also, if the sword were activated, Clary would have more than one person she would lose.  Wait a minute; Jace had demon blood in him as well.  Would he be killed if the Sword were activated?  If so, I knew that my family would fall apart.  Alec would never recover from losing both his parabatai and Magnus, whatever they were.  I saw a glimpse of what he was like without Jace when we were trying to find him, and Jace was still alive at that point.  If Jace died, I wouldn't only lose one brother, but two.  That thought absolutely terrified me.  I almost lost Ben, twice, I didn't want to lose Alec and Jace too.  I was snapped out of my thoughts when Sister Cleophas began speaking.
"You mustn't let the Downworld know what the Sword can do.  Panic and chaos could ensue.  Uprisings.  We cannot let that happen."  She said seriously.  Both Clary and I nodded at this statement.
"Thank you for helping us Sister Cleophas."  I thanked her.
"You're welcome Isabelle."  She replied with a smile.  "Is there anything else you need?"  She asked.
"No, we have no more questions."  I replied.
"Then let's get you back home."  Sister Cleophas stated.  With that, Sister Cleophas led us to the portal that the Iron Sisters had.  Clary and I said our goodbyes and Sister Cleophas opened it, allowing us to go back home.

*Back at the Institute*

We got back from the Iron Sisters and the two of us then split up; Clary to find Jace and the twins, and I had to go report our findings to Aldertree.