Chapter 79

BEN'S POV

"We need to tell Alec about this." I suggested. Everyone nodded and we made our way towards his office. As we were walking Dot and Clary began telling Jace and I more about Elliot.
"After Elliot opened his own shop we lost touch. But when I was little, Elliot was one of my mum's best friends." Clary explained.
"He introduced me to Jocelyn." Dot said, looking at Clary, obviously smiling at the memory.
"And now you're concerned he's in trouble?" I asked, more for confirmation than anything else.
"The mark on Dot's arm is part of a protection spell." Clary said.
"It's a sigil. It only transfers to another warlock if something terrible has happened. Whatever he's guarding must be pretty important." Dot explained.
"We know what it is and we'll tell you when we get to Alec." Clary said.
We walked to Alec's office and knocked on the doorframe since the door was already open. He looked up and towards the door to see who had come to talk to him and I could see obvious surprise that we were all here.
"What is it? What is Dot doing here?" He asked curiously, setting whatever he was working on down.
"She has something she needs to tell you. She's already told us, but you need to know what it is." I said. He raised an eyebrow curiously.
"Elliot Nourse, a warlock that was with Jocelyn before me and also introduced me to Jocelyn." Dot explained.
"What was he guarding?" Alec asked. Dot and Clary looked at each other, and Dot nodded, indicating for Clary to tell us.
"It's the Mortal Mirror." Clary revealed. I could hear the reluctance in her voice at revealing this.
"Jocelyn had it?" Alec asked, his eyes widening at her statement.
"I know it's crazy; the mirror and the cup. I guess my Mum knew Elliot would do anything to keep it safe. As a warlock, he could protect it better than anyone, right? So she entrusted him with its location." Clary continued.
"And Elliot entrusted it to me." Dot said.
"So you know the current location of the Mortal Mirror?" Alec asked.
"Sort of." She replied. She showed us the sigil on her arm. "These lines coordinate to specific Ley lines in the city. I can figure it out, but it'll take some time." She revealed.
"We have maps of all the Ley lines. We can help you." Alec offered. Jace continued on from what he was saying.
"And we can protect you from Jonathan and Valentine. With those marks on your wrist, it's only a matter of time before they come after you." He said.
"Jace and I will go to Elliot's shop. See what happened. You'll be safe here." Clary added.
"Be careful." Dot said, before the pair of them walked out the door, leaving only Alec, Dot, and I to figure out where the Mirror.

*Later*

ALEC'S POV

"Any luck?" I asked.
"I'm getting closer to narrowing down the location." She told me.
"You understand that once you retrieve the mirror, it becomes property of the Clave?" I confirmed with her. She looked up at me with a 'who do you think I am?' expression on her face.
"You think I want anything to do with this? The only thing I care about is stopping Valentine." Dot said seriously.
"No, I-I didn't mean to-" I began, but she cut me off before I could finish.
"I'm sorry, but I've lost whatever faith in the Clave I had left. So when I retrieve the mirror, it becomes property of Clary Fairchild. She's the only one that I trust. She can do what she wants with it." She said shortly.
"Fair enough." I replied. "We've had too many security breaches recently. So I'm limiting your escort to Jace and Clary. You'll be safer that way." I told her. Jace, Clary, Izzy, and Ben are the only people I can truly trust right now, and Izzy is currently training Max, and Ben is healing so he can't really leave right now.
"Thanks." She thanked me, a small smile on her face before Jace, Clary, and Sebastian barged into the room.
"It's Jonathan. My brother. He's the one who came after Elliot. He's after the mirror." Clary said. I noticed that Sebastian was looking at the tablet that Dot had in her hands.
"Sebastian. Thanks, but we're good here." I said.
"If I can be of any assistance, I'd be happy to help." He offered. I'd become increasingly suspicious of Sebastian as of late and was now regretting bringing him in to our lives so easily.
"Thank you. But we've got it covered." I said simply.
"Sure." He replied. With one final glance at the tablet, he made his way out of the room. I don't know whether anyone else has noticed, but he seems like he is covering up something and I am going to figure out what.

*Later - Fullen Street Station, Queens*

VALENTINE'S POV

I was waiting for Jonathan in front of the entrance to the Fullen Street Station in Queens. I heard something hit the pavement behind me. I turned around to see Jonathan panting slightly.
"What are you doing?" I asked, walking over to him.
"I took the rooftops. It's faster." He told me. "Clary knows I was there." He added.
"Which you? Jonathan or Sebastian?" I asked.
"Jonathan. They have a warlock. She has the sigil." He told me.
"What warlock?" I asked, slightly confused.
"Her name is Dot." He said. I sighed. At least we had some hope of finding the mirror. "Jace is trying to sabotage me. He's trying to make Clary hate me. But I swear to you, I will end him before I let that happen." He continued, his face turning serious.
"Listen. Once we have the mirror, none of this will matter." I told him.
"I can't have Clary hate me. Not after everything I've been through." He said. I could tell he was getting slightly worked up about this, so I had to find a way to calm him down.
"Clary doesn't care about you." I said calmly.
"Yes, she does." He growled.
"No, Jonathan. She only cares about an English Shadowhunter named Sebastian Verlac. When she realizes the truth about you, she will only despise you." I told him.
"No. YOU are the one that she despises. I AM HER BROTHER! SHE LOVES ME!" Jonathan shouted, eyes turning completely black. Honestly, it scared me.
"OK, Jonathan. You're right. I'm sorry." I apologized. "Go back to Clary. Find the mirror. But remember, until that's accomplished, no can know who you really are." I reminded him. He nodded and then made his way back to the Institute.