Chapter 37

I was terrified but at the same time determined. I wasn't going to lose Declan to my parents- the ones who dumped him on me. I love my baby and I will not go down without a fight let alone even think about giving up on him.

"I thought that went good." Dante said turning to me

I nodded in response still in my thoughts.

"Baby...." he put his his fingers underneath My chin and lifted my head so I was looking at him.

"I know you're scared. I know you're worried but to hell with you parents. We will win. I'm not going to lose Declan. I'm not going to lose you either."

That got me curious.

"How would you lose me?"

His eyes got sad. "I know how much you love Declan. You look at him the way you look at me- with complete love in your eyes. You're incredibly gently with him, careful not to stir him awake when we talk and do other things. You're so careful not to leave him without anything, you pack 4 pacifiers in the diaper bag along with 2 changes of clothes, 3 diapers, a baby blanket for if he gets cold and some shoes. You're an amazing mom and even though we didn't make him and you didn't give birth to him, he's still ours. We've raised him together and I know it would break you if we lost him and I don't want you to blame me for that..."

"I would not blame you for my parents choice or the courts decisions. It would break my heart open if we lost him and I know my heart wouldn't be as full but if I have you, I can make it through this. We will make it through this. We will win and I will not let my parents ruin even more of my life."

We thought we were alone and no one heard that conversation. But we soon learned that we weren't.

2 days later

Jacobs got a judge to take our case. We are now sitting in front of the judge with Maria and Declan in the seats behind us.

"All rise for Judge Randolph."

"You may sit down." The judge said

"So it looks to me that we have a custody case but between adoptive parents and their daughter over their son?"

"Yes sir." Jacobs said

" What is the problem?" The judge asked

"Well sir, Mr and Mrs Lewis are trying to take custody of their adopted son back from their daughter who took care of them while they were away on business." The other lawyer said.

"Is that correct?" He directed his question towards Jacobs.

"Yes Judge. But there's more to it that simply that."

"I figure that, or we wouldn't be here. " he said with a slight chuckle

Jacobs rolled her eyes but continued "We are here because my clients want to keep their son. They raised him and are taking good care of him."

"Your honor, if she means having a nanny care and raise the baby for them then yes. I agree." The other attorney said.

"We're talking about my clients, not yours. Those "parents" dumped their newly born child off to their 17 year old daughter to take care of him. She had no preparation whatsoever. They hired a nanny to watch Declan for Ms. Lewis. They didn't expect her to actually love the baby and be a parent. They didn't actually expect it go this far."

"How do you know this exactly Ms Jacobs? Did she tell you? Because that's hear say."

"Not only did she tell me this but I have video proof to back it up."

A little bit after we met she messaged me and asked if we had security cameras, confused I said yes and she asked if we kept the tapes from that night we got Declan, I don't know what to do with the videos so I keep them in a box, they record months at a time we have a total of 48, but they're dated so it was easy to find. I didn't know she was going to use it until she told me last night when she found what she was looking for.

"We finally adopted!
"But we need you to look after him for a few months.
"How the hell do you expect me to raise a baby by MYSELF when I'm in school?" I asked
"We got that covered. We hired a nanny She will start first thing tomorrow."
"Of course you did."
"Okay well good luck. We have to get back now."
"Wait! What's his name?" 
"You pick. We haven't given him one yet."
"Get the FUCK out of MY house."
Hi baby, I'm your mom. Well your sister but I am going to raise you. I am going to be there for you no matter what. I promise you, I will be the best mom that I can be and I will NEVER EVER leave you."

"This shows what went down on that night."

"They aren't a good fit to be parents. They're not even married. They will decide that having a baby at a young age isn't what they want. " the other attorney argued

"Really because I have this." She played the conversation that me and Dante had in her office after she left.

"I don't need anymore evidence. I'll have the verdict by the end of the day. " judge said

"Is that a good thing or bad?" I asked

"I think we had a pretty good argument."

"Your record what's said in your office?" Dante asked

She smiled sheepishly "I've had cases in the past where I didn't have the session recorded so I didn't have any proof of what my client said so I couldn't back them up. There's attorney - client privilege but I record them so if I don't take detailed enough notes or miss something I can look back. Sorry I didn't tell you guys. But I think it helped a lot in the case that you didn't know about it.

In the end I couldn't be really pissed at her. In the end I could only be pissed at my parents if the court decided to rule in their favor. 

________________________________

Author's note: HEY GUYS!! I finally updated! I have been so busy with school, work, and volleyball. I'm so sorry for not updating earlier but I hope this makes up for it!!!!

I will hopefully be updating again by 9/26/17 that's next Wednesday.