Chapter 12. Lost

Chapter 12

Lila's POV unedited

My throat went dry and I looked for some sort of words. I felt my cheeks redden. "Jack-Jack I-" I was cut off by a loud high pitched scream. As soon as I heard this I jumped, I knew that scream. Danny. Why the hell was he screaming? Then I heard Tate call out my name, His voice a little shaky. Danny ran down the steps. He had his pajamas on. Danny cried out to me and held his hands up for me to hold him.

This was all happening way too fast- what was happening- pressure and confusion filled me- I wanted to fall and faint- collapse.

I snapped out of my thoughts and picked Danny up and swung him to the side, moving him. I quickly ran up the steps. My bedroom door was swung open. From what I could tell- from what I could see- there was gasoline poured down the hallway. It seeped into the carpet. I followed it to my room.

Smoke was the first thing I could smell and taste. I heaved and gasped at the sight. Sucking in air only made me choke harder. My room was on fire. Tate scrambled out of the room and behind me, tugging on my arm. "Lila," his voice was hitched by the smoke. "We need to go, hurry!" At first I couldn't move. My eyes wide, my mouth open. Was this happening? "Lila! Now!" I shook my head and turned and ran.

Jack now sat up on the couch. I coughed smoke out and searched for Danny. He was crying behind the sofa. I picked him up and hushed him. Jack got up. "What's going on?" He said- he didn't sound effected by the smoke at all. "F-fire." Tate managed to wheeze out. Jack panicked for a moment- contemplating on what to do. I clenched Danny tightly. Jack grabbed my arm and tugged. "This way." Danny, Tate, Jack and me all ran out the front door.

I stumbled into the yard. It was dark. We all watched as the house burned slowly. All that could be heard was the distant waves of the ocean not too far and the popping and sizzling of the burning house- my burning house- Jacks burning house. Danny sniffled and held tightly onto me. I cried a little too, Tate put a calm hand on my shoulder. "Lila- I don't know how...it started." I shook my head.

Jack clears his voice, making my head turn. I couldn't held by feel my cheeks redden a bit- remembering what he had said before the fire. "You shouldn't be standing," I say. "You were just stabbed and-"

"I'm fine. Forget about that."

"But-"

Jack eyed me with those black sockets. The tar substance seemed to have dried for now. I nodded. The house burnt slowly- I suppose the neighbors saw the fire too and called the fire department because we heard sirens. Before I could say a word- Jack dashed off. I sighed and looked at Tate who eyed the house. Danny, covering his face and still sobbing silently.

The trucks stopped in front of the house as me pushed out and pushed us back. Spraying down the house; a few hours later, the house was nothing but ash. The men talked to us and asked us if we were injured. They soon left after Tate said he'd let me stay at his house. I stared at the ashes. A silver going caught my eye. I gave Danny to Tate, as Tate raised an eyebrow. I sifted through the ash and grabbed what I saw. A picture. A picture of me, Dad, Mom and Danny. Dad...Mom.

I held the picture close. I'm losing everything slowly. My mom- My fun of being here- my thoughts- now my house. Why me? Why can't this have happened to someone else- or never happened at all? Tate and Danny kneeled beside me. "I think I saw who did this," Tate said, looking Into my now red and puffy eyes.

"All I saw...was a glimpse of a white hoodie."