Chapter 1. A New Home

Chapter 1

Lila's POV

I sat in the front seat of the car. It was raining outside. I watched the slow raindrops trickle down the window as it made a fast tapping sound against the car. My little brother Daniel, But I call him Danny was fast asleep in the backseat behind me. His head was pointed down and his head moved around when we hit a bump in the road.

My mother drove. Her blue eyes were adjusted to the road and she scanned the roads. I held my luggage tightly Between my legs, The rest of my mothers and brothers luggage sat in the backseat and some in the trunk. I propped my elbow up on the side of the door side and rested my head on my hand.

We had moved yesterday. To California. My mother has been offered a very good job here and it pays a great amount of Money. I didn't know wether to be happy or sad about it. I grew up 17 years in Alabama. My home before we moved might not have Been as pretty as the one we are getting but I had a lot of memories there. It was hard to leave behind those memories, Some good, Some bad, Either way, They are important.

My mother cleared her voice quietly, Breaking the silence. "Are you okay sweetie?" She turned her head from the road for a moment to look at me before looking back at the road. "Yeah I'm fine, It's just a shame to leave Alabama plus, In such a nice place like California It has to be raining." I really didn't mind the rain, I actually loved the rain. I just needed an excuse. "Yeah, Im sure the rain will clear though." The tone in her voice sounded as if she didn't believe me. I sighed and looked out the window again, Watching houses pass.

About an hour had passed before my mom spoke up again. "We're here." She said pointing to a large White House. It was rimed with black windows and little wind chimes hung from the porch. I noticed it also had a white fence surrounding it, It really was a nice house. But I still missed my old one. She pulled into the driveway. I reached my arm down and sighed, Picking my luggage up by the handle.

My mother undid her buckle and reached back to gently shake Danny awake. His little green eyes opened slowly. Me and my brother had both inherited green eyes from our father. Our father walked out on us right after Danny was born. I never liked him anyway, He didn't seem to like us either. I unbuckled and opened the door, Dragging my luggage with me. I gently shut the car door and it made a clicking sound telling me it had shut correctly.

My mother had my brother in her hands and she walked towards the house, I followed. She unlatched the gate with one hand and let me in before closing it. We walked up the porch and to the door. My mother turned to me, Danny still in her arms as he looked at me and yawned. His blond hair was frizzy and he had crusts in his eyes. "Would you like to do the honors?" My mother asked, Dangling her keys in front of me. "It's the large silver key." She said. I nodded and took the keys. I fiddled with them before finding the right key. I turned to the door and very slowly pushed it in and turned it. The door made a loud clicking noise. I handed the keys back to my mother before turning back to the door. I slowly pushed it open.

The house was large inside. This is the living room I thought. The walls were white and the carpet was grey. A ceiling fan hung from the ceiling, Across the living room was the kitchen. It was black and white tiled and it was beatiful. My mother came in and set Danny down. "Lila dear, Will you please take Daniel upstairs and choose him a room?" She asked while pushing her golden strands out of her eyes. I allowed a small smile to creep across my lips and I nodded. I finally get to choose which room is Danny's and which room is all mine.

I took Danny's hand and he gripped back with his little fingers. For a 6 year old, He has a tight grip. "Lila, I want a nice room." He said through a still half asleep voice. I completely understood why he was exhausted. I can't blame him, we'd been driving for 1 whole day and 8 hours, Not including all the pit stops. "Okay." I said and led him put he stairs. The stairs also had grey carpet on them. We got to the top and we walked down a hallway. For what I saw was 4 bedrooms, And one bathroom. Danny dropped my hand and ran to the smallest bedroom. "This one! This one is mine, No one else's!" He screamed while laying on the floor, Rolling on the soft carpet. I giggled. "Ok, It's yours." I said smiling at him. He smiled back.