twenty three // 117.4 lbs

Start from the beginning

It lasted for a few seconds, a smile tugging at my lips as we pulled away.

"Be mine," he whispered, lips tickling mine as he talked, looking at me through thick eyelashes.

I shyly nodded, looking down at the ground as I laughed, never letting go of his hand, "I'm yours."

***

We had thrown our ice cream cones away and continued our walk through the park, hands still clasped together. Following the trail leading through the forest surrounding the park, we finally reached a field at the end of the path. We walked to a patch of flowers, picking at dandelions and admiring the scenery, quietly chatting as we did.

After our kiss the memories of talking to the boys about going to Australian ran through my head for the rest of our time spent at the park. Why had I gotten into this relationship with him when I knew I'd be leaving?

"Max, I have to tell you something," I forced myself to say, looking up from the dandelion I had clutched in my empty hand.

"What's wrong?" he asked, dropping the flower he had started to offer to me, eyebrows knitting together with a serious expression as he now stood in front of me.

"Well," I looked down, not able to remain eye contact with him. "I..."

"I-I'm going to A-Australia," I finally confessed, still staring down at the ground.

"I don't know how long I'll be there. I'm r-really sorry. I s-shouldn't have said yes to going out with y-you, I –" I stammered, my stomach sinking in fear of Max lashing out at me.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" he asked, voice soft.

"I was scared you'd be upset."

"I'm upset that you're leaving, but I'd never be upset with you..." he trailed off. "We can make this work, Daisy."

"It's okay. You don't have to do this for me –"

"Look," he nudged me, never letting go of my hand. "We can text and call whenever you want, okay? We can make this work."

I nodded, butterflies erupting in my stomach again as the urge to lean up and kiss him surged through my body. Instead, I leaned up, pressing a kiss to his cheek. When I pulled back we were both blushing, eyes sheepishly averting from the other.

***

"Are we really doing this?" I whined, trudging behind Max as he pulled me up Auburn's driveway.

"Yes. You need to talk to her," Max tugged me up onto her porch, ringing the doorbell before I could protest.

"But showing up to her house unexpectedly? That's kind of –"

The door suddenly opening cut me off, and I stared with wide eyes as Auburn now stood there. Her eyes were red and her face puffy, evident she had been crying. Auburn's blonde hair was pulled back into a ponytail, parts of it cascading over her shoulder. She was dressed in a T-shirt advertising a sports camp she had gone to, and simple black shorts.

"Can I help you?" she snapped, eyes narrowing slightly.

"Daisy wanted to talk to you," Max pushed me forward.