14. Presenting

???, Amsterdam

“Presenting the next award is two beautiful women on People Magazine’s list of most desired women in the world, Hunter Tomlinson and Miley Cyrus.” The host said before Miley and I walked onto the shiny stage. I nearly tripped over my dress but I played it off, making it look like I just took a tiny step. Miley noticed though, snickering a little and placing a hand on my back to keep me going. Before we walked out were discussing the severe embarrassment of falling on the way to the microphone and made a deal that if one of us falls, the other will rip their dress of to distract that audience. She was prepared to do that—but it wasn’t necessary. I made it to the microphone.

“Almost cracked my face open back there,” I muttered under my breath as we got to the microphone. There was a light chuckle through the crowd before it quieted down as Miley and I read the dialogue scrolling on the teleprompter. This was the, I think third or fourth time Miley and I have been together, either in a setting like this or just at a party. She’d become a friend of mine, though we don’t see each other very much.

Once we finished our little talking thing, the nominees played on the screen and I blushed profusely when Niall and Harry came up, messing around on stage. There was a shot when they both were smiling with giggly grins in the camera and my heart all but exploded. When the video was over the light on the camera lit up, saying we were back on the screen.

“And the winner is…” Miley and I paused for drama as we struggled to rip the envelope open. I saw the name and rolled my eyes. “Niall and Harry.” The room applauded. “They’re on tour right now, so they left this video to accept their award.” The light went off and Miley and I walked off stage as the video played. Niall definitely knew they were going to win—I’m pretty sure that was a fan voted award. I could only imagine the grin on his face knowing that he won this little bet, but I guess I can let him have that one.

After that though, I was desperate to leave the awards show. I didn’t want to sit here for another three million hours—I don’t even know who’s performing—besides I wasn’t feeling well. Brody and I hightailed it out of there about twenty minutes later, though I was supposed to go to the after party, and went back to our hotel for the night. Brody could tell something was wrong with me by my uncharacteristic lethargic behavior.

“Are you sure you’re alright?” He questioned as we walked in the room. “You don’t look good.”

“I feel like shit,” I pouted, flopping down on the bed, though I regretted it seconds later when my head started throbbing. The pain only got worse when I sneezed twice in a row.

“Is it your—”

“No.” I said quickly. “My head hurts.” He sighed and walked towards me to sit me up. Kneeling in front of me, he slowly unstrapped my shoes and tossed them to the side before grabbing a big shirt from my suitcase. I gave him a thankful smile and undressed, when Brody pointedly turned around, then pulled the shirt on.

“We’ll be home tomorrow,” he said softly. “I’m gonna watch TV in the other room, okay? Call me if you need anything…do you want some tea?”

“No, that’s okay.”

“Alright.” He turned the corner and I heard him sit on the couch. I laid there for a bit, waiting for my head to calm down, before I grabbed my computer from the bedside table. Signing onto Skype, I saw Niall was on but I think he was already videochatting with someone, so I just sent him a quick message.

Me: you won…

I was about to close my computer but he responded quickly.

Niall: shit I missed it! Hahah I’ll watch your reaction on youtube tomorrow