26

Smile; when you're designated to.

Date: unknown

Place: unknown.

_____

Kris's pov

Noise.

I heard familiar noise as I furrowed my brows.

It was loud; it was so loud that it almost deafen me every second but I can clearly hear every single word that was echoing in my mind.

I feel my chest tighten up because a force pulled me as I shoot my eyes open, sucking in a lung full of air and coughed.

I found myself actually lying on the floor as I sat up but stopped when I spotted a kid crying while covering his ears under the bed.

"You don't go anywhere with Jia Heng! He's my son and he's going to stay here with me!"

He would flinch at every shout that was heard; he would mutter a no when he heard the sound of beating.

"You fvcking slut!" A tight slap was heard as I snapped up totally, saw a man slapping a woman.

My mom.

I realize that these were memories; my memories that I never want to recall.

I swear that my mom was the toughest woman I had seen in my life; not until I met another women who was tougher than her and struggle to live everyday.

I knew what happened next; for the first time, my mom took up the courage to punch my father and he collapsed on the floor due to shock.

"IF YOU EVER LAY A HAND ON ME OR JIA HENG AGAIN, I'M SURE THAT I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!"

Despite that my mom had been silent with the abusing, this is the last time she's going to endure and fight back.

She punched him again.

Although it looks weak when her eyes is still swollen from the beating yesterday, but every punch she throw at him; he would cry in pain.

As if returning all the beating that she had been taking all these years.

"Jia Heng! Jia Heng!"

She pulled out the kid who are hiding under the bed as she hugged him; I feel my heart clenching at the sight of them.

That was me; that was me and my mom who got abused by a drunk father and husband.

"L-Let's go, okay? Let's go." She wiped his face that was full of tears and he nodded; she rushed to get the luggage that had been packed since yesterday and carry that kid up in her arms, leaving the house without looking back.

One year;

We stayed in Guangzhou for one year before we move to Canada after mom earned some money that was enough for two air tickets.

I was 10 at that time.

Everything was new to me;

New people, new country, new language. Even my name got changed by my mom.

From Lee Jia Heng to Wu Yi Fan. I followed my mom's surname and no longer my father's one.

I spend tons of time to learn up English and get used to the culture there despite how much I hate it.

But for my mom, I need to. I don't want to bring her any additional burden when she's struggling to support me to school.

She would always stay up late at night to work.