22 ~ 'His head on my lap'

The phone buzzed as she turns it off silent, it had been in her room the whole evening that Seff was there. Notifying her that a voicemail had been received, she sets her body in a more comfortable position in her bed

"Hey Y/n... It's Nick. I just wanted to make sure you got home safe. I know you weren't sure about all this. Sorry to bug you if you are already in bed. Just checking on you is all. Goodnight."

Her heart fluttered at the sound of his voice, and her lips expressed the slightest of smiles. She had to admit she felt good he had called to check on her. She was also aware that his voice caused more than a small chest flutter.
'Gah enough! Sleep!'

Y/n's P.O.V

"I'll call him in the morning" I mumble to myself, face buried deep in the pillow, before regretting it as I lurch up gasping for air. A long sigh escapes, I can't be selfish... I'm constantly challenged by others, known on many dangerous animals radar. But I've always deprived myself of love and a relationship... How cheesy 'love' it's a strange distracting thing

...

Lightning came, a brilliant shock of white in the graphite sky, forking silently to the unsuspecting ground. The thunder seemed to crack the air, as if the very heavens might split apart. Waking me instantly, disoriented tumbling out of my bed. I hear the neighbours talking above a normal tone, not quite catching what they are saying. Sprawled out on the floor I stand up, running a paw through my fur. 'What time is it?' 4:30.

Phone vibrates, travelling a couple inches. 'A phone call this early?'
Waking over to pick it up, eyes not quite understanding why he is calling me. "Officer? You're calling early" I hear soft laughing, the line a bit muffled, cracking occasionally. "Sorry, I know it's very early." He pauses, I remain quiet. "I'm sorry to ask you this, but the detectives found where the two animals are going to be, they want us down right now."
"O-Ok, I'll meet you down there then?" He's quick to put in a response, "no I'll come pick you up, be there in 10" with that said he hangs up, leaving me slightly dazed. Shaking my head I hurry to get ready. Preparing two instant hot chocolates for us, considering the weather throwing on a waterproof coat.

Jumping off the last step of the stairs I wait at the entrance. Shelter shielding me from the sudden downpour outside. 'It wasn't meant to rain' the sleeves of my coat need adjusting with the button, as it hangs over my paws loosely.

Hearing it before I see the familiar police car pul up outside, I make a quick dash, seeking for shelter elsewhere. "It sure is coming down" I hear him say as I get in, closing the door behind me, being careful not to catch my tail. "It woke me up" I reply laughing, feeling carefree even though we're going to the station.

Nick's P.O.V

An all too familiar fluttering sensation in my stomach. Always happening when she's around. "It feels like a film, racing down to the police station early hours in the morning, the rain as the pathetic fallacy" her random outbursts amuse me, they always have a meaning to them.
The roads are almost empty, not making out any figures deep in the night. "Were you clever in school?" Shifting gears whist I attempt to question. "I suppose, not that they believed me" a sudden uneasy feeling erupts in the pit of my stomach. Already knowing the answer, I ask anyway "why's that?" Biting the bottom of my lip, awaiting the words.

"Discrimination"

The mood soon changed after that, we enjoyed full on conversations, we've become very close. It's s nice feeling.
We walk side by side into the station, I hold the door for her as we pass through. My mind could be playing tricks on me, but I swear she's gotten closer beside me.
"You're finally here, hurry up!" Opal ushers us in, not giving us a chance to protest to her excessive shoving. "Where are they?" Almost jumping out of my seat when I hear the Chiefs voice, I hadn't noticed his presence. Gently massaging my temple I correct myself. My eyes drift the the side y/n is. She's looking at me oddly, as if she's inspecting me.

"I'll just cut to the chase, we've learned that they will be at the outskirts of Zootropolis in a couple of nights, attending a formal masquerade party." We all state at her with questionable looks. "A masquerade party?" Allowing my mouth the speak for itself. "Formal" whipping my head to face her, cocking my head at her correcting my words. "What would I do without you?" The chief coughs, y/n's cheeks seeming to go a faint shade of pink. As my brain clicks to how that came out I turn to face the front embarrassed. 'That was supposed to be a sarcastic response to her calling me out with her correction' I keep muddling up the way words come out, my vision sways for a split second. I don't think anyone noticed.

Y/n's P.O.V

Something wrong with him. He's really out of it, he's good at hiding things I'll give him that. He's exhausted. The others drive the meeting forward, discussing ways to get in. It's frustrating how they haven't brought up the simplest idea to form in our brains. I intervene "why don't we just crash the party?" They all stop their full on discussion to look over to me. "In disguise? It is a masquerade party after all" stretching my words to get my point across. "It is a good idea, I think we all were thinking that, but it's too risky" Judy replies, disappointed in the trails of her voice. "So is allowing them to abduct more animals for their experiments. There's an opportunity right here in front of us, we're not going to get much more." I hadn't realised the passion and anger within my words. "I volunteer to go" both paws firmly on the desk, leaning over, looking across to them. I feel contact on my shoulder. Nick stands up next to me, "I'll go in with her, we'll blend in more if there's two of us, not drawing too much attention" his grip doesn't loosen, it tightens. Faintly my lips curl up. The Chief crosses his arms, with a look of pleasure and satisfaction. "It looks as though the plan is under construction"

Opal tells us to disperse for now until later, advising we go home to rest. "Come on, I'll drop you off once again, partner" his words make my heart beat noticeable to me, hearing it thump out of rhythm. "Yeah... Partner" I hold my paw up, curled into a fist to perform a friendly fist bump.

"I swear I know the way to yours almost flawlessly by now" his joking side back for the time. "Want to come in?" Opening up my home to him, I find myself secretly hoping he accepts. He stops to think for a moment, considering the question. "Sure, my body clock is messed up for a couple of days anyway"

Make yourself comfortable, I'll make some-"
"Hot chocolate" lips forming an amused smile, he knows the drill by now. "Mm-hm" nodding I go in to books some hot water. I hear him yawn in the other room. A couple of minutes later I wander back in, finding him sat comfortably, yet still politely on the sofa. "Here you go" passing it to him, being careful not to spill it. Falling down next to him, I sink down, relaxing. We both sip the hot beverages contently. "This brings back memories of when we got early morning coffee/hot chocolate" his eyes fighting to stay open, he manages a smile, "it sure does"
Placing my cup on the low table in front I turn to face him. "Have you slept?"
"I'm fine" you can tell straight away he's lying, his whole body language appears exhausted. "You should rest" shaking his head he does the same and places his cup on the edge of the table. "I said I'll be-" his words are cut short as his body collapses to the side as he goes to sit back down. His legs had given way. His body fallen into mine, his head heavy, eyes fighting the exhaustion. Seeing him in this state, so vulnerable, makes me want to protect him. His head falls onto my lap, my paws freeze, not knowing what to do. I place my paw on the top of his head, stroking his tousled fur from the rain, each strand separating, before regrouping. I feel relaxed, cheeks burning bright red to have his head on my lap, him so close to me. Feeling my eye lids growing increasingly heavy, I fall asleep too. In the comfort of him resting on my lap.