18 ~ 'She's going to be the death of me'

Eyes widen in surprise.

"You sure?"

Nick's P.O.V

I had previously just hoped to see, and hopefully talk with her. This sure was a surprise. A selfish thought crossing my mind. "Yeah, I think I've had enough doing it myself" she shuffles her paws uncomfortably. I catch my reflection. The mirror that has a patina of age over the bronze frame, "don't tell me you're having second thoughts now officer" her voice sounds normal again, the mockery in it. I look over to Seff who is sprawled out on the sofa with a look of boredom on his face. "Well then, can you come down to the station with me?" Something flashes beneath the surface of his hardened expression and I hurried to investigate the sudden shift. It was too late, the emotion disappeared before I could identify it. He sits up and turns his head to face us. His eyes toy around me for a moment before catching them.

A smile.

The smile surrounded by stiff cheeks, not the supple grin of a friend, but the joy of the enemy after the battle is won.
"I suppose your visit is stopped short Seff, come back later and we'll eat the pocky's" his face is expressionless with no sign of feelings. She grabs my arm gently pulling me to the door, waving to him amiably. We turn the corner and she shouts back to him "quit your sulking you can stay for tea!" A subtle sarcastic laugh comes from the living room. "He was sulking?" Not quite understanding their relationship. "In his own way" she continues to hold my arm, laughing along cheerfully.

And when she was giggling like a little girl, a thing she did a lot when she felt happy... I swear even the birds shut up to hear her beautiful laughter emerging and filling the air with gorgeous sounds coming from deep in her chest. "I'm glad" I mumble subconsciously. She turns to look at me, blinking her sparking eyes. "Hm? What did you say?" She stares up at me, almost like she's searching my soul. "I'm glad you're yourself again" a not so subtle smile breaks out, she turns her back to me, allowing my arm to fall back to my side. "I missed it honesty, I felt so vulnerable, it just contradicted everything I've done to become like this" she does a strange spin to face me, paws behind her, arching her back, drawing her face towards mine. "So you missed me that much huh?" Booping my nose grinning head to toe, beaming. I sigh, smirking "I did" she seems caught off for a second, "when will you learn that I can play your game as well?" She cocks her head to the right on an acute angle, face a few inches away, yet I manage to keep my composure. "We'll see for how long"
Flipping her head around she skips off ahead of me. The embarrassment I've been hiding finally breaks up to my cheeks.
Up ahead I notice some bandaged up rhinos. She doesn't stop, they flinch, hiding behind one another shaking, begging to be spared.

She stops to look at them.

"Hey... I know you guys!" Her cheerful tone of voice surprises us both. "Keeping out of trouble?" They all nod quickly in unison. "Good" seeming pleased she continues her 'pursue'

'I swear she's going to be the death of me.'