LXVII

When Dei was 5, there was a huge typhoon that hit the metro. Signal #4 was raised in the entire metropolis. Nicolas went down to check with the help if they had enough supplies for the entire household and gasoline for the generators. 

It was raining non-stop, one could hear thunder and see flashes of lightning. Little Dei was getting a little scared but Yaya Pinky appeased her by letting her watch her favourite animated show. Dei was on her bed with her favourite blanky, surrounded by pillows. Yaya Pinky left Dei to get her nightly glass of milk.

All of a sudden, a huge rain came falling, howling winds were heard, there was thunder and a bright flash of lightning, then lights went out. When the very small lone emergency light turned on in Dei's room, the television was in smoke. The sound of howling winds and thunder continued. 

Yaya Pinky found Dei under the bed with her favourite blanket and stuffed toy, crying and shivering. 

In one of Dei's overnight stays in the Faulkerson home, when she was young. It was during a rainy season, there was a typhoon which caused electricity to run out. Rose Faulkerson found Dei in a corner of the room, covered entirely in a duvet, shaking nonstop and crying. 

It was only Richard who was able to convince her to move from the spot, not before making him promise not to leave her. Rose asked Dei to stay in Richard's room as the bed was more spacious. When she brought the two kids into the room, Dei immediately went under the covers, and covered her ears with a pillow, still shaking. When the two were settled on the bed, Rose closed the drapes and put a dimmer light on. 

Rose came back to Richard's room two hours after, only to see dried tears on Dei's face but she was now fast asleep engulfed in Richard's arms, in between them, is her favourite stuffed toy.

From then on, she knew how frightened Dei was of thunder and lightning. 

***

"Ano yan?" Richard asks 

"Ginataang Halo Halo gawa ni Yaya Virgie" Lia replies

"Meron pa ba?"

"Wala na! Late ka kasi, naubos na namin!" Dei responds

"What? Nooo! Favourite ko yan!" Richard yelled

Dei shows an empty pot. 

"Kawawa ka naman, wala na yung favorite food mo. Ubos na..." Dei said

Richard sits on the chair dejected and not talking to anyone. Rob, Lia, Dei, Rodjun and Mark were looking at him and smirking.

Yaya Virgie comes out of the kitchen door. 

"RJ, bakit ka sumisigaw kanina."

"Yaya, bakit wala na akong ginataang halo halo, favorite ko pa naman yun." a gloomy Richard asked

"Ay sus, itong batang ito. Pwede ba naman yun? Pwede ko ba naman hayaan sila na ubusan ka?"

Richards face lights up like Christmas morning.

"Eto o, dala ko sa iyo. I saved you a big bowl. Ininit ko muna bago ko dinala. Alam ko na ayaw mo na malamig na food."

Richard walks towards Yaya Virgie and gives her a hug. "Buti na lang, Yaya, favourite mo ako."

"Itong batang ito. Oo, ikaw lang ang favorite ko. Magagalit ka kapag may sinabi akong may iba akong favorite."

"Talaga, Yaya!"

Richard sits down and scoops a spoonful of the dish. "Yaya, ang sarap talaga nito."

Yaya Virgie pretends to whisper but is heard by everyone, "Meron pa akong itinabi pag-gusto mo pa sabihan mo ako."