XXIV

Please note that all chapters in this story have not been proofread. It's just that when inspiration hits me, I just keep on writing. 

Thank you for reading. Thank you for taking time to write comments, I read all of them! And thank you for the votes (Feeling class election)! 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tonight is the Annual Charity Gala hosted by the Mendoza family. 

All the Alta families from all over Asia are invited to the Gala. The Gala is known to be elegant, sophisticated and only serves the best food and wines from around the world. It is always one of the events of the year.

To some, it was a chance to show off their couture gowns and jewelries. To the nouveau riche, for those lucky to get invited, it was their chance to hobnob with the old rich families. 

It was always held in the old Mendoza Ancestral home down south, to honour their ancestors. To reach the actual mansion, one would need to drive about 3 kilometres from the gate. 

The security during the event is second to none, Ex-Navy, Green Berets, SAS and US Navy Seals were in charge. 

It was mainly uneventful up to now, compared to the other years when there was the usual bickering, people getting drunk and outfit related issues (Two ladies came in with the same dress, que horror. Another lady had a dress malfunction, her dress was too tight that the zipper in front broke and "gave everyone a show"). 

Compared to the other years where there was pushing on the pool, hair pulling or someone pulling some crazy stunts, this year so far was pretty mellow.

Dei saw Sam drinking the bar, looking all so despondent. "Hang in there, Sam."

The auction was a success. They raised about 2.8 Million Dollars. Dei was walked to the stage to give her closing remarks, very elegant in her classic Valentino long no strap red gown, it was her mother's, her hair pulled up in a very simple updo and her only jewelry was a pair of 6 carat Harry Winston earrings given to her as a gift by her grandparents.

As she was going to start her speech, a very very drunk Philip Arcilla came out of nowhere and started hurling expletives at Dei. He was aiming for the stage where Dei was. Richard who escorted Dei to the stage, went up the stage and stood next to Dei. 

The security people were going to heave Philip when, on his way to the stage, Philip grabbed a gun from one of Madame Ching's bodyguard and grabbed the frail-looking 85-year old Madame Ching. He took her as a hostage. He pointed a gun on her temple. The snipers and the security were ready to shoot Philip. Dei gave them a No. She didn't want bloodshed. Madame Ching, due to her age, walked very slowly and was now being dragged by Philip.

The whole place was nervous. People started ducking under the tables. 

"Dei, you forced me to do this! Why did you use me? Why did you get my hopes up!", Philip screamed, it was apparent that Philip was not just drunk. 

"Philip, pwede naman tayo mag-usap. Ibigay mo na lang yung baril at pakawalan mo si Madame Ching"

"At ano? When I give you the gun and let this woman go, you'll hide behind your security or Faulkerson there? No way, Jose! Not going to happen."

"No, I give you my world. We'll talk"

"No!!! I want you in exchange for this old lady here." And Philip started pointing the gun at Dei and RJ, then back to Madame Ching's temple.

Dei and RJ started walking a little towards to where Philip was

"STOP! STOP! STOP! FAULKERSON, YOU ARE NOT COMING! YOUR BOYFRIEND HERE IS NOT COMING. WHAT DOES FAULKERSON HAVE THAT I DON'T? FAULKERSON, WHAT'S YOUR HAND DOING INSIDE YOUR POCKETS, ARE YOU HIDING SOMETHING?", Philip now clearly distressed 

"Philip, RJ here is not my boyfriend!"

"I'm not her boyfriend and I'm not hiding anything", RJ raised his hands to show empty hands

There was a gasp heard in the room.

Philip looked very anxious and very confused. Dei and RJ saw and opening and lunged at him at the same time. RJ grabbed the gun and Dei took Madame Ching. The security pulled Philip and Madame Ching's security took her as well.

"Wait", Dei said to the security. RJ and Dei walked to Philip. Dei gave Philip a blow to his face.

Philip became disoriented a little and screamed, "YOU! THAT WAS YOU, BITCH!"

RJ and Dei smiled. RJ waved his hand and the security took Philip away.

A few minutes passed and everyone was now seated on their tables. Dei took the microphone.

"Whew, My apologies for what just happened and I won't keep you for long. I would like to thank everyone for coming. Thank you for generous donations. Madame Ching, I am so sorry."

Madame Ching seemed to be mumbling something, so she was handed a microphone.

"Great event! I haven't experienced that much excitement since I went bungee jumping in '88! You and RJ there could be action stars"

Everyone laughed. "I'm happy that you weren't harmed Madame Ching. RJ and I started our training in Jiu Jitsu and Krav Maga since we were children."

RJ changed his stance to a forward stance and the old lady and the audience laughed.

"So, parents train send your children to self-defence class, you'll never know when they can use it! With that ladies and gentlemen, thank you and good night!"

***

The next day, Dei took an early flight to London, she's on her last year at the University.

RJ was on a flight to Japan, the day after, for a conference and to meet his classmates from college.