XLV

"Sometimes, God will put a Goliath in your life, for you to find the David within you" - Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------

In a secluded park in London on a dark, rainy afternoon, a man and a woman sat under the rain.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know they were going to do this to you. If only I found out sooner. I even helped them"

"I know you helped them. I knew they were manipulative but manipulating their own son"

"You could file for a divorce"

"You know I can't"

The woman's eyes were cast down, tears streaming.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I didn't know, I didn't know they were going to do this to you."

The man's face was void of any emotion, sat straight, eyes looking forward.

"Please say something" the woman begged. There was no response. The woman continued crying.

"I will make things right, I promise." she said

"You can't and you know that."

"Even if it causes me my life, I will make things right."

"No."

She hugs the man. The man remains unmoved.

"You did it for us. You didn't have to tell me. I know. I was selfish. I didn't want our lifestyle to change, I was very materialistic. I'm really sorry." she says

"I've already lost her." the man said.

"I'm really sorry. I can arrange for you two to talk. I'm sure she will agree."

"No. I am married now. I already lost her, my life, my world."

"You can still be friends."

"I will do no such thing. I will not tarnish her name. I love her more than my life. She will not be associated with a married man, even as friends."

"I'm really really sorry."

"Do not try to change things because you can't. I called you today because I want you to do something for me and that is all I ask."

"What is it? I'll do it. You don't have to ask. Tell me."

"I want you to pass something to Dei, make sure she gets it. Do not take no for an answer."

The man gives the woman a box wrapped in plastic. Stands up and leaves. 

As he was walking, he falls into the ground.

It was a month after Christian broke up with Dei, a week after his wedding

***

Dei enters the restaurant looking for Christian. She was ushered to a table at the back.

She waits and waits. Half an hour later, she was ready to leave.

A woman walks to the table. Dei realises it's Charlotte, Christian's sister.

Charlotte sits down and hands Dei a box. 

"What is this?" Dei asks

"Christian wanted you to have this after your breakup but I ... " tears start falling from the woman's eyes