XXXV

The next two weeks proved to be difficult for Richard and Dei. Dei was busy at the University, she was on her last year and there were several projects due at the same time and there's also the 8-hour time difference between London and San Francisco. 

The Faulkersons were very proud of Richard for getting this opportunity, they immediately rescheduled their plans and appointments to cover for Richard's 3-month absence. They knew that this was a dream come true for Richard and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Richard and the people working on the project were offered an above average salary but with the costly rent in San Francisco, it wasn't enough as he initially thought. Richard was known to be frugal, despite his family's wealth, he was thinking of maybe getting a roommate. The rents in San Francisco was twice as New York City.

Rose and Ricardo Faulkerson flew with Richard to San Francisco a few days before his first day for his new work. Dei couldn't make it, she had exams during that time. 

Richard's parents felt it was like sending their youngest to college all over again. Richard was starting to talk to agents for apartments when his mother convinced him to join her for shopping. She said that he would be away for three months and she was going to miss him. He gave in.

When they were in a car, Richard was wondering why the area didn't look like a shopping area. He thought maybe his mom was going to meet someone, an agent or a personal shopper. It was a modern building in Palo Alto. They went into the building and stopped on a floor. His mother rang the doorbell and Ricardo Faulkerson opened the door. 

It was a refined contemporary two bedroom, two-bath apartment. They surprised Richard with the apartment. It wasn't a gift per se, but they brought it for the family. It was a good investment as later on they can always lease it out.

When Richard asked why, his parents said that they wanted him not to worry about anything else as his new work would take so much of his time and they knew how much getting this job meant to him. 

His parents handed him a note, it was from Rob and Lia. It said they were so proud of him, and here's a gift from them, they leased him a car, not just any car, it was a mercedes benz s-class coupe. 

If he was happy earlier, now he was overjoyed. It was a little harder at first when one had two older siblings because when one makes a mistake, it kind of feels like there's two sets of parents who were disappointed. 

But he knew just how much they love him, being the youngest in the house, he was showered with love and spoiled. And he loved them as much.

***

The next several weeks were a struggle. There's the time difference, too, London's ahead by 8 hours. Dei and Richard would send numerous messages and would only be able to do long calls on Sundays, on weekdays, it was either a 15-minute call in the morning or night, either Dei was off to school or Richard off to work. 

Richard was also consumed with this new project he agreed to work on, it took a lot of his time even weekends. Although official working hours were only 5 days a week, most people in this project worked during Saturdays, too. Richard was blown away when he met the people who were working on this project, they were super smart people from all over the world and he was struggling a bit to keep up, he was good but he felt he was not at their level. He used nights to review plans, algorithms and requirements. 

***

Two weeks before the Memorial Day weekend, they realised that it was a long weekend and they were both free. Finally! Dei flew out to San Francisco. Richard picked her up from the airport about two hours ago. She was now taking a nap. 

Since it was a long weekend and Dei took a day off,  which means they have about 3 or so days together.

Richard ran his fingers through her hair and stroked her head softly. He kissed her forehead. He scooted next to her, he missed her so much and hugged her. She's here, he told himself. He fell asleep, too.

He woke up around 8 in the evening. He opened an app on his phone to get pizza delivered from Patxi, one of the best pizza places at Palo Alto.

Dei woke up several minutes later but still stayed in the sofa bed in the living room, looking at the city lights of Palo Alto from bed.

"Love, you're awake!"

Dei turned to where the voice came from. Richard just stepped out of the shower, topless. He's drying his chest with a towel.

There it is, those. Let me count, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Ah, six packs that was sculpted by the Greek gods. When did he get this hot? Oh God, this is a view I'd want to wake up everyday. She told herself.

"Love?"

Richard's voice took her out of her trance.

"Love, RJ, I'm so sorry, I thought I was going to just take a 30 minute nap, it turned into 2, almost 3 hours. You should've woken me up" she replied

Richard now wearing a plain white shirt said, "I didn't have the heart to, you were sleeping soundly, plus I fell asleep next to you. Do you want to shower? I bought all your toiletries it's in the bathroom"

Why did you put a shirt on? She told herself.

"You are very sweet, Mr. Faulkerson." by this time, Dei stood up and walked next to Richard.

"If you want to shower, you can find all you need in the bathroom."

"Ah, there you go. Is that why we slept on the sofa bed, which very comfy by the way, instead of your bed?"

Richard smiled sheepishly. 

"My baby boy, you're adorable but still a neat freak."

The doorbell chimes a few times

"Must be the pizza, I ordered you the best pizza in Palo Alto."

"After what I saw, that better be a really good pizza. Or else!"

"Huh, after what?"

"...."

Dei walks hurriedly to the bathroom, smiling and singing, And I think to myself what a wonderful world!🎶