LXIII

When someone attempts to rain on your parade, wear boots, a raincoat and bring an umbrella. Remember that one of the greatest worthwhile moments  in life is doing the things people say you can't do. Dream Big, always.
------------------------------------------------

"Bakit parang ang tahimik mo? Usually pagsasabay ka sa akin, ang dami mong kuwento?" Rob asked his younger sister.

"Naalala ko lang kasi yung conversation namin ni Mom about RJ and Dei."

"Is this Mom's fascination again to bring RJ and Dei together?"

"Alam mo din?"

"Isn't it super obvious? She's been playing match maker since they were in diapers."

"Sabi ko kasi na what if Dei and RJ fall in love and decide to keep their relationship a secret, Mom was livid. She said, that's cowardice. I said because there's a lot of rumour mongers around."

"...."

"What are your thoughts?"

"I'm trying to wrap my head around that scenario. If and when that happens."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm running several scenarios in my head. One if they keep it a secret, the other if they don't"

"So that do you think?"

"Do you ever remember having a crush on someone who does not meet your friends' criteria of being a crush material in high school and you never told them?"

"I think so. Why?"

"Do you remember moments when you'd see them first thing in the morning and you'd just smile just because of that. Walang nagtutulak, nang-aasar or nagcocomment. And for that just 5 seconds of quiet, magiging masaya ka buong araw?"

"Pero kung sina Dei at RJ naman, everyone wants them together."

"It's exactly that, which I think they might choose to keep it in secret."

"Ha?"

"Yung friendship, iba yun sa when you are in a relationship with someone. Although, I must say, magandang foundation ang friendship. During the after a few months that you learned how to drive and I got into the car, what did you tell me"

"Don't tell me directions, I can manage. Don't talk too much, I might get distracted."

"It's exactly that."

"Exactly what?"

"If you go into a relationship, it's like you're driving perhaps not for the first time, but it's a new car and a new set of roads that you have to traverse. They will need to do this on their own and find their own set of directions, the path they take may not be perfect but it's theirs to take, not anyone else's. You don't want people meddling especially that there are a lot of meddlers in our families, trying to give them instructions or worse saying which path to take. It may take time but they'll will get there. Pag-okay na sila, when they feel comfortable with driving the new car, I'm sure they'll tell us in time. And about telling us, it's theirs to tell. We have to wait. We can't project our hopes and dreams unto their lives and say it's wrong because it does not follow what our version of what we think is right. You know what causes our biggest disappointments?"

"What?"

"Our own expectations of the world."

"How did you get so wise?" Lia asked her brother

Rob laughed. "I don't know?"

Lia scoots near Rob and hugs him. "Kuya..."

"You hardly call me that. May kailangan ka no?"