X

"Naku, kayong mga bata kayo. Bakit kayo nagpaulan?", Manang Merting was asking a very drenched Dei and RJ.

"Manang, wala daw pong sasakyan ngayon dito e. Tapos yung dalawang gulong namin flat, buti na lang dyan na sa tapat natin. Tapos noong naglalakad"

"O, siya, siya. Umakyat na kayo at maligo muna. Yung kwarto sa dulo ang bukas."

"Dei, you go ahead. There should be spare clothes in the cabinet."

RJ found Dei sleeping soundly on the bed after showering. They drove 2 hours and walked 1.5 kilometres. The bed looked so inviting. 

Dei woke up to a shaking movement. Is there an earthquake? She looked at the frame on the wall, it was not moving. She sat on the bed and saw that it was RJ, who was causing the bed to shake. The guy was shivering and in a fetal position. She placed her hand on his forehead. He's burning up. 

Manang saw Dei sprinting down the stairs. "Hija, anong nangyari?"

"Manang, si RJ po, inaapoy sa lagnat.. may basin po kayo.. uhhhmm.. ah, palanggana? Tapos may mainit na tubig po kayo? Saan po ako makakuha ng small towel? May paracetamol po kayo dito? Saan po ang malapit na doctor or hospital?"

"Hija, isa isa lang, ang bilis mo magsalita. Parang mga sampung tanong sa loob ng isang minuto. Sige magpapaakyat ako ng mainit na tubig sa palanggana. May maliit na tuwalya doon sa cabinet. Subukan ko na din tawagan si Doc Manny."

Dei went back to the room. 

She heard a knock on the door. "Ma'am Dei, eto na po daw yung mainit na tubig. At eto na din po yung paracetamol. Dala din po namin yung maiinom na tubig."

"Salamat, pakilagay na lang lahat dyan. Paki sabi kay Manang, kung pwede magpaluto kami ng sabaw, yung may manok."

Dei turned off the air conditioner. She opened the cabinets and found a towel and spare clothes for RJ.

Kaya mo to, Dei. Si RJ lang to. She told herself.

"RJ, RJ", She was trying to wake RJ. All she could hear was groaning, which she found a little sexy. Wait, no. Wait. RJ is sick. 

She pulled his shirt up. Oh god, she prayed. She prayed hard. Please keep me away from temptation. 

She's seen RJ shirtless many times when they've gone swimming but it was different to be this up close. Gone was the lanky teenager, who was also bullied. His torso looked like the ones sculpted by the greek gods. 

He needs a sponge bath, Dei! A sponge bath. Not someone gawking at him when he's all weak and defenceless like this.

She wiped the washcloth all over his torso quickly and put on a fresh shirt. 

Now for the tricky part. Should I remove his shorts or not? Hmmm..?

***

"Merting! Bakit ngayon ka lang tumawag?"

"Naku, Ma'am, pasensiya na, tatawag na sana ako kanina kaya lang itong si Dei, kumakaripas ng takbo sa hagdaan. Parang nagpapanic ba? Si RJ daw po kasi inaapoy ng lagnat."

"Ano bang nangyari?"

"Na-flat po yung dalawang gulong ni RJ, buti na lang e nasa gate na sila at inabot na ng ulan."

"Ah ganon ba? Kumusta naman si RJ?"

"Okay naman po ata Ma'am."

"O, yung utos ko ba na ilock lahat ng kwarto at sabihin na ni-rerenovate natin, nasunod ba?"

"Ay oo, Ma'am!"

"Ayan, tatawag na lang ako ulit mamaya. Naku, baka magka-apo na ulit kami ni Ricardo! Balitaan mo ako, Merting ha? Bye!", Rose excitedly put down the phone. 

***

"Dei, andito na yung Doctor. Wala si Doc Manny e."

A woman who looked very sexy in a crop top and short shorts was walking towards them.

"Uhhhmmm.. Manang, Doctor po ba talaga yan?", Dei whispered to Manang Merting.

"Ay oo, hija. Mga tatlong taon na nakakalipas ng pumasa sa board exam yan. May malaking pa-banner pa nga yung Lola niya sa kanto e."

"Manang baka naman banner lang ang meron yan, baka hindi naman talaga doctor?"

"Dei, eto pala si Biol-a"

"Correction, Manang, its VVVViiiioooooooo--la" 

"Yun nga ang sabi ko, Dei, si Biol-a, yung pinsan ni Doc Manny."

"No, No, No! It's still wrong, Manang. It's VVVviiiooooo-la!"

"Hay naku, Dei, ikaw na nga ang bahala dito", Manang left.

Viola looked at the sleeping RJ. Shock crossed her face and mouth dropping open slightly. Dei looked at Viola and wondered, what's with that face? She turned to look at RJ. His shirt hiked up, revealing his well-sculpted abs.

Dei hurried to bring RJ's shirt down. 

"Why did you do that? It was a very yummy view!!!", Dei heard Viola murmured.

 "RJ's temperature is now down, it's now just a mild fever, 38.9"

"Let me check", Viola puts on a stethoscope and checks on RJ.

"He looks okay. Paracetamol every 4 hours but might need a sponge bath later if the fever does not come down. I'll come back later to give AwwwJay a sponge bath"

"What no! No need to come back later. I'll give RJ a sponge bath."

"You might not know how to give AwwJay the proooopeeer sponge bath. He won't get well you know? Wait, who are you to give Awwwjay a sponge bath? What are your qualifications? I am a doooctorr. And you?"

"Honey, Sweetiepie, Awwwjay, Wake up! Who is this? Who is this Awwjay? WHO ARE YOU?!"

"My name is Dei"

"Who? Dey, Pey? Faye?"

"It's Dei!"

"Whatever?!!!!"

Dei wondered what she would say to make this woman stop and stay away from RJ. Looks like the woman was keen on giving RJ a sponge bath, too. Then Dei smiled, she said to the girl, "I'm his girlfriend!"

"What? No, Awwwjay does not have a girlfriend. I refuse to believe it. I'm going to call Awwjay's mother!"

"YES! YOU DO THAT. CALL HER!", Dei said annoyingly.

Viola left not before she rolled her eyes at Dei.

"Awwwjay does not have a girlfriend!!!", she was mimicking Viola's voice when she heard a voice 

"So, you're my girlfriend?"

A loud thud was heard.

She was so startled. She fell off the bed.