LXXXI

Dei and Richard have just arrived at the hospital.

"Dei, Sweetheart, you're back. You could have rested some more." Ralph tells his granddaughter

"Opa, it's okay. I couldn't rest much anyway knowing that Oma is in the hospital." Dei answered

"Your Oma has just been brought back. She wants to rest for now."

Dei peeked inside the room. Her grandmother was sleeping and there was a nurse inside.

"Opa, have you slept? How are you?" she asks her grandfather

"I am alright, Sweetheart. Not yet since last night, I can't sleep knowing that your Oma is in the hospital."

Dei pats her grandfather's back, "Opa, you have to take care of yourself, too. Oma wouldn't want you getting sick, too."

Her grandfather nods.

"Opa, while Oma rests, please go home, eat and take a nap. Do you want me to accompany you?" Dei asks her grandfather.

"No, Sweetheart. I'd want someone to be here when she wakes up."

"Do you want Richard to accompany you?" Dei asks

"Opa, I'd be happy to accompany you." Richard says

"No, George here will be enough. I will leave Mister Ayman here, too." Ralph says

George has been his grandfather's amanuensis and has been with the family for 15 years. Mister Ayman is his father's right-hand man and has been in the family for 20 years, he's more of a family than an employee.

***

Richard woke up and saw Dei sleeping next to him. She was actually hugging him. They fell asleep while watching over Ann.

There was a nurse checking the vital signs device when he heard Ann groan. He slowly peeled himself off Dei's arms and went to Ann.

Ann was still adjusting to the brightness of the room, when she opened her eyes fully, she sees Richard.

"Richard"

"Oma, how are you feeling?"

The old woman smiles and says, "Better, RJ. Better."

"Richard, why are you here? Did you accompany our sweetheart?"

"Yes, Oma. She's actually on the sofa. We fell asleep earlier watching over you. I'll wake her up, she'll want to see you."

"No, don't wake her up. She's probably tired. She won't say it but she is."

"Oma, please let me wake her up. She'll go ballistic at me if I don't."

The old woman smiled and agreed.

Richard taps Dei a few times. "Dei, Dei."

Dei wakes up and stands up. "What happened, RJ? Is Oma alright?"

"I am alright, Sweetheart."

Dei runs to Ann. "Thank goodness, Oma. I was really worried you know."

"I'm better now, Sweetheart. Where is your Opa?"

"I sent him home, Oma. He hasn't slept nor eaten since you have been confined last night." Dei said to her grandmother.

Ann shakes her head. "Your grandfather is being stubborn again, is he?"

"Oma, he is just worried about you. You know he loves you very much."

"He does , that I know, Sweetheart." Ann tells her granddaughter

"Oma, Opa feels lost without you."

Her grandmother laughs and says, "I remember I went on a 3-day trip and when I came back, our closets were in a disarray, his things were everywhere, he wouldn't let the help touch it. It was hilarious"

"Oma, Let me just call Opa to tell him that you're awake."

"Dei, I've sent a message to Mister Ayman and they are already on their way here." Richard says.

The door burst open, it was Ralph who was taking huge strides to reach Ann.

"Honey, how are you feeling?" Ralph asked Ann.

"I'm better. Why are you back so fast? Did you even sleep and eat?"

Ralph shakes his head. Ann hits him on his arm.

"Why are you not taking care of yourself? Are you being stubborn again?"

Ralph smiles cheekily.

"Ayman, can you please ask if they can provide another bed in this room and can you get some food for Ralph? Wait, order food for all of us. Thank you."

"Yes, Madame. I'm on it. Do you have any food preferences?" Ayman asks Ann

"No. I trust your choices." Ann replies

"Alright. Excuse me, everyone." Ayman says.

***

Only one family member was allowed to be present to accompany the patient after visiting hours. Dei insisted to be the one to accompany Ann.

Richard's unpacking his things when he heard knocks on the door.

"Opa. Please come in."

"RJ, I'm sorry for disturbing you."

"Not at all, Opa. I'm always happy to be of help, anytime. Is there anything I can help you with?"

Ralph sits in the chaise chair in the room. Richard sits next to him.

"We've always known that someday, Ann and I will no longer be here, we would talk about it but these two days made it real. We love Dei, she is all we really have in this world. RJ?"

"Yes, Opa?"

"I know I shouldn't be asking for promises but could I ask you for a favour?"

"Opa, if it's something that I can help with, why not?"

"I know that Dei has her siblings and that they love her very much but sometimes, I can't help but worry."

"Worry about what, Opa?"

"You know her siblings are in the Philippines and she's here. RJ, can I ask you a favour to look over Dei, from time to time? I know that she got her stubbornness from me and she can be a handful at times. But she is wonderful and it would really make me happy if you could."

"Opa, you know that you don't have to ask that favour. I will always be here for Dei."

"I know, but I just wanted to hear, for my own peace of mind."

"Opa, Dei loves you and Oma very much."

"We love her with all that we have, too, RJ."