XXXI

For the previous two chapters, I thought that since we know about Dei's past, it would be fitting to learn about Richard's as well.

One of the best lessons I learned in life is in Chapter VI. 

"Whenever we think we know the future, even for a second, it changes. Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely, and we're left with only the choice of what to do next. We can choose to be afraid of it. Just stand there trembling, not moving. Assuming the worst that can happen. Or we step forward into the unknown, and assume it will be brilliant." ~ Cristina Yang, Grey's Anatomy

-------------------------------------------------------

Richard took a flight out to London on the afternoon 6th of February and landed at 8 in the morning of the 7th. It was supposed to land by 5 in the morning but due to the weather it got delayed. He wanted to see Dei even if it was just going to be a few hours. He picked up a bouquet of carnations along the way and got into the car.

Today was he day he would tell her. Finally, come hell or high water, he was going to tell her. His assistant Tom was very confused when he said that he wanted to make a stop over in London, his assistant said that going to NYC via Japan was much shorter and showed him this comparison:

MNL - London : 14 hours and 35 minutes,  London - NYC : About 8 hours.

MNL - NYC : 18 hours and 45 minutes

He insisted to be booked on a flight to London even if it meant he would only be there for about 10 hours before he goes to New York.

If his calculations were right, he only had 7 hours. 1 hour and 30 minutes one way to Cambridge, where Dei was studying if there was no traffic jams, which meant he only had 3 hours to spend with her, giving himself an hour as an allowance.

He was nervous, very nervous. He has never been this nervous. He's presented to CEOs but this one, it seemed he was a ball of nerves. He's used to having the car AC to half power, but today, it's on a full blast. 

Finally, they were at her flat. He knocked a few times but there was no response, he knocked again. 

He knew it was still early, so Dei would be at her flat. She prefers afternoon classes so she could sleep in. He became worried so he used the spare key that he has to open the door.

He could hear laughter from the living room. It was Dei and Michel-Jan and it looked like they were about to kiss. He took long strides and hit the guy in the face, it was huge blow that Michel-Jan fell on the ground.

"Richard!", Dei screamed

"YOU KNOW I WAITED! I OVERHEARD YOU, A YEAR AGO WHEN I WAS ABOUT TO TELL YOU, WHEN YOU TOLD YOUR FRIENDS THAT YOU WEREN'T READY TO BE IN A RELATIONSHIP AND THAT YOU NEEDED A YEAR. BUT HERE YOU ARE KISSING THIS BASTARD? I HAD HIM INVESTIGATED YOU KNOW AND YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE HE'S DATING, HE'S GOING OUT WITH A SOPHIE ENDELMAN." A very furious Richard told Dei, while she was helping Michel-Jan to stand up. 

Dei immediately rushed to the kitchen and back with ice cubes and a wash cloth in her hands. She made an ice pack and gave it to Michel-Jan who was now sitting on the sofa.

"RJ, what are you doing here?" Dei asked Richard who was pacing back and forth, very furious.

"I KNOW I CAME HERE UNEXPECTED BECAUSE I WAS GOING TO SURPRISE YOU, BUT LOOK, I WAS THE ONE WHO GOT SURPRISED! THIS GUY ISN'T WHAT YOU THINK HE IS. HE'S NOT WORTHY OF YOU. I CAME HERE BRINGING YOU THESE (showing the flowers and opened his bag and took out the contents, it was full her filipino local sweets,  hany milk chocolate, haw haw and mikmik (powdered milk)) AND I WAS GOING TO BRING YOU OUT TO YOUR FAVORITE PARK AND TELL YOU I LOVE YOU"

"RJ, what? You love me? You just said you love me?", Dei replied with her eyes lighting up like it was the first time that she's seen colors. 

"YES! I LOVE YOU. I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED YOU, I GAVE YOU TIME, FIRST, I WANTED YOU TO GET OVER CHRISTIAN, THEN YOU NEEDED TIME,  BUT IT SEEMS YOU WANT TO SPEND YOUR TIME KISSING THIS TWO-TIMING ASSHOLE! SO GOOD RIDDANCE. HAVE FUN!" and with that, Richard took his empty bag and stormed out of her flat.

All this time Michel-Jan was sitting on the sofa quietly watching what happened.

Dei with tears in her eyes, sat on the floor whispering several times, "He loves me, He loves me"