Chapter 36

They tried looking for any cracks, loose bricks or weak ends. However, they could not find any. They had been looking for those for a pretty long time. Who knows how long? There were no clocks whatsoever, so they could not tell what time it was.

Exhausted, Emily plopped on the hard concreted ground. She had been squatting, tip toeing and standing for past few hours, searching for a way to escape. Sadly, the room was in perfect condition, which in this case, really doesn't do much help in this situation.

Beck sat right next to her and cocked his head a little to take a look at her face, "Are you okay? You should just take a rest for a little while."

"No, I'm fine." She persisted as she pushed herself up. Her wrists ached a little because of the chains that bounded her wrists together. She moved her arms a little so that the chains will move away from the sore parts of her wrists.

She did not want to rest, she did insist to help in her first place, it would be embarrassing if she called quits now.

Beck noticed her discomfort and asked, "Are the chains bothering you?"

"Erm... No." She lied, while looking down at him. He stood up and raised one of his eyebrows in disbelief, wanting her to tell the truth.

Guilty, she gave in and admitted, "...Yeah. But, I'm fine."

She did not want him to care too much about it, her sore wrists does not meant anything, as compared to how he was feeling.

"Close your eyes." Beck instructed, "Just for a quick second."

"What? Why?"

Emily was completely puzzled, but she still did what he told her to. When she had her eyes closed, he lifted her arms so that they are parallel to the ground. This time she was even more confused, "What are you doing?"

"It will be over in a second. Just hold your arms there." He raised one of his legs such that it was a few inches directly above the chains. He swiftly and effectively made a downward motion hitting the chains with the back of his heel. He flinched as the sudden movement shot a sharp pain towards his sore ribs, but he quickly regained his composure. The metal immediately broke into two parts upon the impact. The sound of the chains breaking startled her, so she opened her eyes.

Upon opening them, she realised that her wrists were no longer sore. Looking down to see the chains, she noticed that they split into two. "...What?!"

"There you go, is that better?" Beck questioned nonchalantly as if nothing amazing had happened, "They were bothering your wrists, right?"

Emily was so flabbergasted that no words came out of her mouth, instead she just subconsciously nodded.

After giving her a smile, he turned back and continued what he was doing.

"...Alright, take a quick rest here. I'll--"

His words trailed off as he needed to rested his body against the wall. Emily got herself together and rushed towards him to check on him, "Beck? What's wrong?"

"...It's nothing."

It was not convincing considering the fact that he had his arms slung across his torso.

She noticed the way his act and thought, "Don't tell me... He's in pain? Wait, duh, it's obvious, Emily! Why did you forget that he's wounded?!"