Chapter 27

[Fiorentina, Fiore's castle - Afternoon]

Everyone had already left for their missions, leaving Emily alone. She walked past the throne room and she heard a conversation between her parents and Beck.

The king asked, "...You're injured, right?"

"Yes, sir." Beck answered.

"Even so, I need you to go on this mission. There's no time to waste."

"Yes, I understand."

"What? He's injured. What if those guys attack him again? That's just crazy." Without thinking she pushed open the doors and entered the room.

"What are you doing? You can't--" One of the guards who was guarding the door warned sternly but stopped when he realised it was Emily. "I-I apologise, my lady. I thought you were an intruder." He justified anxiously.

"Dad, you can't let him go like that, he's injured." She walked towards her parents as she spoke. Beck had done so much for her, so the least she could do was to not keep him away from things that could hurt him further.

Beck's eyes widened when he saw her.

Other the other hand, the king was unfazed. He looked at her sternly as he replied, "He needs too. We're short of people."

"I'll go then." She replied almost immediately, without thinking about the consequences. She walked even closer to her parents, who were sitting on their thrones. "I'll g--"

Beck grabbed her wrist gently as she passed him, "It's fine, Emily. It's just a light mission. It will be worse if you go, your life matters more than mine. It's okay if I die, but it's not okay if you die."

"What is he talking about? He sounded as if this is his last words."

The queen took a sip of her tea and laid the cup on its saucer, making a clink sound. "Emily, there's nothing to worry about. He's just going to the nearby forests to pick some herbs, we need those for medication and also cooking."

Beck nodded as he gave Emily a smile, "I'll be back as soon as possible."

"Well, can I follow then?" She asked.

"Absolutely n--" Just then, the queen interjected into the conversation, "Why do you want to go?"

"Well, just in case. If those guys attack, maybe I can go against them again." She continued, "They can't do much I'm there, right? They need me. Worst case scenario, I'll go with them to keep Beck alive."

The king widened his eyes in pure shock. "What are you talking about? I will not condone you to do that."

"Aren't you scared?" The queen questioned.

"Not really, I guess."

That was a lie.

She was definitely afraid. The more she thought about it, the more she regretted saying that. However, it was too late to back down, I'm sure I can be saved, somehow."

Beck walked in front of her and looked at her with a frown, "Emily, it's too dangerous. You shouldn't be risking your life like that."

"You can't either." Emily uttered with a hint of strain in her voice, "Listen, I'm just tired seeing you being hurt because of me. I really hate the fact that people are getting hurt because of me. That's like one of the things I hate the most, it just leaves a bitter taste. So please. I don't want that to happen anymore."

It was pretty embarrassing for her to say such things, but she meant every word.

After hearing that, Beck changed his mind. A tired sigh escaped his lips as his expression began to soften, "You're not going to change your mind, right? Fine, but if something happens. I want you to run. You need to promise me that."