Chapter 33

[Fiore's Castle - evening]

"Woo! We made it back first." Lavi cheered as he raised one of his arms, wanting a high five from her partner, Anna.

However, she did not get the hint, she blinked a couple times with a confused look on her face. "Come on, don't leave me hanging now." He deadpanned.

With no knowledge whatsoever, she asked, "What are you doing?"

"High five..."

"Oh." She raised her arm and gave him what he wanted.

"You know, you're very dense." He commented as he placed his hands on his sides.

"I am?" She stated while she kept her typical poker face. That was supposed to be a question but for some reason her voice showed no sign of variation.

"Yeahhh. You are."

Not long after, they could hear Ben and Ethan having their daily dose of arguments.

"...We could have finished the mission earlier, if you didn't flirt with those girls." Ethan scowled.

"Like I say, it isn't my fault that girls find me attractive. Besides, we finished the mission within a day. That's good enough, right? What's the big deal?" Ben shrugged nonchalantly.

"It is actually a miracle that we finished this within a day..." Jai uttered to himself, while standing in between the two other guys.

Lavi waved at the group from the entrance, but only Jai waved back. The two other guys completely ignored him. Jai then approached Anna and Lavi, with his usual smile, "Wow, you two are sure quick."

"Hey, you're pretty good yourself. You managed to finish the mission within a day, even though you had those two in your group." Lavi replied jokingly.

Jai looked over his shoulder to the two guys who were still going on with their argument, before whipping his head back towards the two other. Uneasy, he laughed, "Yeah..."

Just then, another set of footsteps could be heard and it was by Yukiko and Mary. The two of them were walking awkwardly together, side by side. They were not fighting, which was a rare sight, but the tension between them still lingered. The two of them remained silent as they made their way to the group.

"Hey, look. It's those two." Lavi alerted Jai as he tapped on his shoulder repeatedly.

"Oh yeah."

Cocking his head slightly, he looked at them for a few seconds, "They are a little weird, aren't they?"

He stared at the two girls, then back to Jai, before nodding, "Yup."

"So, how did things went?" He asked the two girls as they got closer to him, "It all went well, right?"

"Yeah, it did." Yukiko replied as she walked past him and into the castle.

Still in disbelief, he discreetly whispered to the other girl, "Um, Mary...? Is there something wrong with her?"

She looked at him for a few seconds before shrugging, "She had been like that when we started the mission. She did not argue much, which was a little weird..."

Yukiko ignored the little conversation they had between themselves and grumbled, "Aren't you guys going in?"

All of them were surprised.