Chapter Thirty Seven: I Don't Love Him

Start from the beginning

"Thando", he said as though he was smitten. Thando swallowed hard, and looked at Lwethu.

"Hello Dwayne", she said calmly. "How are you?" she asked. He smiled.

"I'm good. How are you doing?" he replied, looking at me and then at Lwethu.

"We're good, thanks", she replied putting emphasis on letting him know she wasn't alone. Dwayne crouched down to Lwethu's level when Lwethu smiled.

"Wow. He is so adorable", he commented, gently taking Lwethu's hand. My blood boiled.

"It's a mystery. Would this guy had been able to say that if you'd accepted his abortion money?", I said, my voice laced with sarcasm. Thando hit me with the back of her hand. "What?" I asked. Dwayne stood up and straightened himself. He looked guilty and apologetic.

"Look man, about that I'm sorry. I shouldn't have suggested it and it cost me the most amazing girl. I'll forever beat myself up about it", he told me. "And to you Thando, I know I've been avoiding talking to you at school, but that's because of how disgusted I was with myself. You didn't deserve the words I said to you, and the offer to pay for the termination. I'm sorry", he said turning his attention to Thando.

"You're already forgiven, Dwayne", she told him and I sighed internally. I had just remembered that Dikeledi had died before I could tell her I had forgiven her. Dwayne extended his hand towards me.

"Do you forgive me, man?" he asked and I took his hand and shook it.

"Of course, I do man", I told him.

"Thank you. Thando, one more thing. If you still think you can survive dating a white boy, I'd love to take you out on a date", he said and Thando's face went from tranquil to shocked in a split second. I wanted to laugh, but because of what this guy had said, I didn't. I just patiently waited for Thando's reply. Dwayne looked at her expectantly. Thando then cleared her throat.

"Dwayne, Lindo and I are married", she said happily.

"Yo man. I'm so sorry. I had no idea", he said clearly shocked out of his wits. I only smiled and nodded.

"Don't worry about it. Only those closest to us know", she responded.

"Right", he said.

"Man, we'd love to stay as chat, but my woman, our kid and I would like to grab a few things before we head home", I said confidently. He snapped out of whatever made his mind drift.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Of course you do. See you around", he said beginning to walk away, rubbing the back of his neck uncomfortably.

"Sure man", I replied. Thando gave me a what the hell look.

"Alright Mr Possessive", she said and I laughed as I began pushing Baby Lwethu.

"You're the one who told him we're married", I countered. She lightly slapped my arm.

"You're an idiot. I had to", she said.

"I love you", I said and she smiled.

"The feeling is so mutual, baby", she said and kissed my cheek.

We bought what we needed to buy, and went to visit Lorraine and Bryan. After that visit, we went back home and spent the night cuddled up to each other. Yes, Lwethu included.

***

Thando's Point of View

I got ready for my classes the next morning and waited on the arrival of the nanny who was going to look after Lwethu while I went to school. Lindo wouldn't be in the house either as he and the band had some important things to do the whole day. I had asked around to find out anybody knew any good childminders, and fortunately for me, I found one of our neighbour's daughters took care of kids for extra pocket money.