Chapter Sixteen: Complications; Complications

Author's Note: Here's the next chapter y'all. Vote... Share... Comment... Enjoy.

***

Chapter Sixteen: Complications; Complications

Thando's Point of View

The next morning, I woke up and my mom had made me a hearty breakfast, saying that she wanted her grandchild to be well nourished. I laughed at that. After breakfast, I watched her work and in the late afternoon, I got a call from Lindo. He had landed and was wondering if he should come to my house or what. I borrowed mom's car and drove to the airport.

When I saw him standing outside, he looked so handsome and I felt joy in my heart. Or was it my stomach? He saw my mom's car as I drove towards him. His face lit up when he saw me. He picked up his bag and got closer to the pavement. I stopped in front of him and he opened the door.

"You are so beautiful. What did you do?" He asked and I laughed.

"If only you knew. Want to grab a late lunch at Maxi's so that we can talk?" I asked and he nodded and we drove off.

"So what is it that you want to talk about?" He asked and I cleared my throat.

"How have you been?" I asked, he looked at me and frowned. I know this because I was looking at him from the corner of my eye.

"You keep avoiding this. Anyway, I've been missing you. How have you been?" He asked and I nodded. If you haven't noticed, I nod a lot. It's my way of processing what I want to say.

"I've been... Sick..." I replied.

"Sick? Is that why you are back?" He asked and I nodded. "But you don't look sick. If anything, you look very beautiful. You got that weird glow people talk about. I don't understand why you say you've been sick", he said. I parked the car outside the restaurant and took my wallet and cellphone. I looked at him.

"Let's go", I said and he frowned again. I used my thumbs to smooth out his frown lines. "Don't frown at me", I said and got out the car.

"Since when do you hide things from me?" He asked.

"Be patient, Thabede. I just want you to be seated and comfortable when I tell you what's going on", I said. I locked the car and he took my hand. I pulled my hand out of his and fiddled with my phone. He didn't protest. He just cleared his throat and followed me into the restaurant. We got a table and I ordered ice cream instead of a drink. He got a coke.

I hadn't said a word since we got inside the restaurant and Lindo was looking at me like something was wrong. I quietly looked at the menu and when the waitress came back, we gave her our orders. I ate my ice cream in silence and I could see Lindo getting more worried by the second. I cleared my throat and looked at him.

"Lindo, what I'm about to tell you isn't a trap. I didn't plan it, as you may know, and I don't want you to stick around if it doesn't suit your lifestyle", I began.

"What are you talking about?" He asked. I took deep breath in and released it slowly.

"I am twelve weeks pregnant", I said and he froze. Yep; it was official. I had lost my best friend to an unborn baby.

Lindo refused to move. The food arrived with him still looking like he was a deer caught in an oncoming vehicle's headlights. I looked at the waitress and asked her for another serving of ice cream. I let Lindo process what I had told him. If he had a reply, he would reply at his own time.

The waitress came back with my ice cream and looked at Lindo then at me.

"Is he okay?" She asked and I chuckled.