Chapter Eighteen: First Real Date

Author's Note: As promised, here's the eighteenth chapter. Vote... Share... Comment... Enjoy.

***

Chapter Eighteen: First Real Date

I took a quick shower and got dressed in a cute, white summer dress with red flowers on it. That's the only thing that fit without being uncomfortable. I left my dreadlocks loose and put on white sandals. As I was going downstairs, I found Lindo sitting in the kitchen talking to my mom. My heart melted at the sight of him. He looked glorious in those dark jeans and white polo t-shirt. Whatever thoughts of murder I had were soon dismissed when he turned to me and flashed his beautiful smile at me.

“Starr, you're drooling”, said my mom and I glared at her, while Lindo chuckled.

“Get off”, I said to her and she laughed. She left the room and I stood at the doorway not knowing what to say to my “traditional” husband. He sensed my discomfort and came to stand in front of me. I looked down at my dress and he lifted my head with his index finger.

“Morning gorgeous”, he said in his deep voice and I shivered. Lindokuhle Thabede, what are you doing to me? I cleared my throat. My dad walked into the kitchen and found Lindo.

“Yes, my boy”, he said to Lindo while he bumped fists with him. I looked at their fists in utter shock. My dad turned to me and hugged me. ”Morning baby girl”, he said. “Are you two ready to go to church?” He asked and slapped my palm to my forehead. I almost forgot about that.

“Yes, sure. We’re ready”, I said. He left the kitchen and then Lindo and I went to wait by the car. “Hi Lindo”, I said in a whisper. I looked into his eyes and I felt like the most beautiful woman in the world. The look in Lindo’s eyes told me that.

“Why are you flustered? Do I make you nervous?” he whispered and I closed my eyes as he bent his head and kissed my neck. My breath hitched and I realized that I had been holding back from actually feeling anything when it came to Lindo. His touch still drove me crazy… And that voice… I just…

“Lindo-o… I-I… We need to-o talk”, I stuttered and he stopped kissing me.

“About?” He asked and I stepped away from him because I knew I wouldn't be able to think straight if he was close to me.
“Get in the car before we’re late”, my dad said as he came from the house with my mom.

The church service was amazing. Lindo was singing with the worship team. I kept thinking back to the time we were standing next to my dad’s car. Why did he have to make me so messed up in the head? When his father was done preaching, the service was wrapped up and then Lindo and I left.

We were walking in total silence and I could feel Lindo staring at me like he wanted to say something.

“Thando, you said we needed to talk. What's up?” He asked. I stopped and sat on a bench just outside the church grounds. He sat next to me and not once did he take his eyes away from me.

“Lindo, why did you ask your dad to pay lobola for me?” I asked. He smiled.

“Well, last night”, he began.

“Oh! So this is about how I told you I fell in love with you”, I cut him off.

“Yes… and no. I just don't want you to think that I will leave you now that you're pregnant”, he continued.

“Wait… You're feeling sorry for me? I can't believe this”, I said and I felt tears prickling in my eyes. I swallowed back the lump in my throat.