Blasts from the Past

"You found him," Jean said with a smile, "is there anything I can help you with?" He asked with a kind smile.

She walked in her eyes were teary and behind her trailed in a little girl who looked confused about what was going on.

"I came here to apologize," she said in a shaky voice.

Marco got up and walked out of the room excusing himself knowing they would probably need a minute to themselves to work things out he waited in the hallway listening in in case Jean needed him.

"Apologize for what?" Jean said sitting up as much as he could wincing while he did.

"You could have died today because of my husband," the lady said which made Jean's eyes widen in realization, "I should have insisted he take his medication but instead I let him brush it off and for that, I am truly sorry," she said.

Jean stared at her speechless for a moment before finding some words. "You don't have to apologize to me," Jean said, "I was going to see if I could track you down to be able to apologize to you both. It's my fault he's dead if I would have paid more attention I could have swerved out of the way," Jean said looking down.

The woman walked up to him and gently put a hand on Jean's shoulder being sure not to hurt him. "You have a good heart," she said with a sad smile, "but please don't blame yourself it wasn't your fault," she assured him. "If anything I should have made sure that he took them before heading to work, but I was too busy heading out to take my daughter to get ice cream that I didn't even notice that he left without them," She said looking down to the ground lip quivering.

"Hey, don't you go blaming yourself either," Jean said putting a hand on hers. "I was just one of those things that no one could have seen coming," Jean said trying to comfort her.

"I guess you're right," she said trying to stop her crying to be strong for the little girl who had already figured out daddy wasn't coming home.

"Mommy," she asked as realization finally began to sink in.

"Yes, Audrey?" The mom said turning around and kneeling down wiping her own eyes and giving her daughter a forced smile.

"Is it my fault that daddy won't be coming home?" She asked.

"No of course not baby, why would you say that?" She asked concerned.

"If I didn't want ice cream that badly then you could have been there to tell dad to take his medicine," she said looking towards the ground.

'Audrey," Jean asked himself, 'ice cream,' he thought. It finally clicked from what Eren and Levi had told him earlier that they meet this little girl named Audrey at the ice cream place. He thought this was just a coincidence... right, this couldn't be the same girl.

"No, baby, that's not true, it's not your fault at all," the mother assured her daughter.

"Audrey?" Jean said calmly getting the little girl's attention.

She looked up at him with sad eyes as did the mother.

"I want you to know that none of this is your fault, okay?" Jean asked, "Tell me that you understand," he asked calmly.

"I understand," she nodded reluctantly.

"You made some new friends earlier right?" Jean asked trying to confirm his suspicions. "Eren and Levi," he asked.

"Yeah, they were really nice," she smiled, "how did you know?" she asked walking over to the said of the bed and sitting down on it to listen to what he had to say.

Her mother was asking the same question with a confused and skeptical look.

"Well, I'm friends with them too. I was at the park earlier and they told me about this amazing little girl who was so nice to them and stood up for them. If I could just remember that girls name, Ammy? No, Ashely? No." He asked pretending that the name had slipped his mind.