Chapter Twelve

Dominic

"She needs you Dominic."
Clara's words played over in his head. Amelia was in danger and she needed him, something about her husband and Hope.
He had spent the best part of the night fighting with himself over what he was going to do.
He had come to the decision around five oclock this morning after downing a bottle of scotch, that if she wanted to walk away then he would let her. The more he battled with his emotions the angrier he had become that she would just leave without hearing him out. He didn't want or need her. He didn't chase after women and he certainly didn't beg. He took and they obeyed him. Love and feelings just made you weak.
Amelia had been the exception, he had wanted to give her the world, he would have happily sacrificed everything if it meant she was his, not anymore, he would hear whatever she had to ask and then he was done.
He clenched his fists causing the bruising on his knuckles to sting, the pain felt good.
"Understand this Mrs Brooker, I will send someone to retrieve Ms Stewart and her daughter as a good will gesture and I will answer her questions but, after that she needs to stay away from me, she has made her choice, I don't like being decieved after I went out of my way for her and her child. I am a busy man with better things to do. This is the last dealing I will have with your family, our business is finished after today." He probably sounded like a petulant child who had lost their favourite toy but he didn't care.
"Ok Dominic, if that's what you want, but you have to realise she is just protecting her daughter, Emmie has been through a lot and has always been very independant, She is terrified of opening herself up to anyone again after what Will did to her." Her voice was soft, so full of concern for her older sibling. He didn't want to hear it.

"He had an affair, and got himself killed, not exactly horrifying." He said sarcastically, regretting it straight away, he was fully aware of what she had been through at the hands of his sister and her vendetta. 

"You really are a cold hearted son of a bitch aren't you?" She snarled and carried on giving him what for.  "He made her fall for him when they were kids knowing who and what she was so he could spy on her for your fucking sick bastard of a father. He had countless affairs including the one with Juliet and helped that sick bitch kidnap their daughter. To add insult to injury the last time she saw him he tried to rape her. So yeah not exactly horrifying but enough to make someone lose trust in love." He could hear Clara breathing heavy to try and calm herself after her outburst.
His temper was bubbling at the surface at what Clara had just said. He  hadn't known.

"Where is she?" He asked, unable to say anymore for fear of losing it completely, if he'd only known what that sick bastard had tried to do.
Clara seemed to sense his change in tone.

"She's in Dundrum, in a little cottage just off Kingston street, it's about a mile from the town centre, you-"

"I know the place." He cut her off abruptly. "I'll go myself." He took a breath himself, she didn't deserve his arrogance, even if she had been an accomplice in Amelia's escape.  "I apologise for my childish outburst before, please put it down to lack of sleep and my innability to think clearly when it comes to your sister Mrs Brooker."

"It's fine Dominic, I know your pride has probably been hurt so I'll let you off, this time." She joked, a smile tugged at his mouth easing the fire building in his stomach slightly. "Just be careful with her, she is more fragile than you think. And call me Clara for godsake, Mrs Brooker makes me sound old." he could hear the smile in her voice.

"Let her know we are on our way. Goodbye for now, Clara." He said before disconnecting the call and scrolling to Patricks name.

Patrick answered straight away he didn't wait for him to speak. "Get the Helicopter ready, I need to get to Dundrum as soon as possible."