Chapter 57

"You're already heading to class?" Jace asks.

"Ya why not? I have nothing else to do plus it's on the other side of the building which is a far walk... Might as well get a head start." I say shrugging my shoulders.

"Where are you heading?" I ask after a few seconds.

"Mmm just walking around."

"Ah I see."

"Jules how old are you?"

I turn to him furrowing my eyebrows.

"Seventeen. Turning eighteen in April."

"And you have your license?"

"Yes you're allowed to get your full unrestricted license at seventeen if you've taken drivers education courses. Otherwise you have to be eighteen."

"Oh I see. I thought it was from eighteen to twenty one years old."

"No, in the state of New York it's seventeen with the special drivers education because you can start taking lessons at sixteen and the year after get the full license."

"I see. I guess it changed."

"It changed?" I question. "Aren't you the same age as me?"

I know very well he's a year older but I want him to admit it.

"Oh no. I didn't go to middle school for one year because I had to help out my mum for awhile when she was sick. So technically I would be a year older than you but initially I was held back a year when I started primary school since I was born in October and the deadline for school is end of September."

"So..."

"So, I should be two grades older because I'm two years older but I got held back one year because of my birth date. So that means I'm one grade ahead of you... but then I didn't go to school for a year and had to take the year I missed over which puts me in your grade."

"That makes sense. Well actually you're more like a year and a half since you were born in October and I'm in April." I say emphasizing the details.

"Yes exactly."

I stare at my feet as I walk trying to collect my thoughts.

He's two years older than me and my brother is three years older than me. So because his birthday is late he was held back a year which means he was two grades below my brother. That makes sense because he was in grade seven and Justin was in grade nine in the yearbook. Then in the following years Jace obviously didn't go to school for one year and ended up in my grade.

This is the third year without my brother. So three years ago I was in sophomore year which is grade ten. This means that Jace had to meet my brother from the time I was in grade six to grade ten.

But when and how?

"That's weird to think that you're two years older than me." I blurt out to hide the fact that I was over thinking the information he just gave me.

"Yes it is I guess." He replies.

I start replaying what he said in my head and what strikes me now is that he didn't go to school for a year because he had to help out his mother.

"It doesn't mean I'm more mature than you... you know? We wouldn't be that different and we get along. What I mean is the difference in age doesn't... well like it wouldn't be awkward if we dated because you're mature...you know what I mean? Like age doesn't make a difference." He rambles.

I nod slowly staring at the floor as I continue walking to avoid his gaze. I'm not too sure what he is implying by that.

"So what middle school did you go to?" I ask randomly.