Chapter 45

Math quiz tomorrow. Math test next week. Science test next week. History test next week.

My first three tests were all assigned today and the history test a few days ago. All of these things were assigned now and are going to be done around the same time. So stressful. So very stressful.

I sit in class drumming my fingers against the desk as I listen to the teacher drone on about Biology. Harry didn't show up until twenty minutes into class. Apparently he had a note but I can't figure out why he was late in the first place.

I grab a piece of paper from my notebook and write a message.

Why were you late?

I stare at it for a few seconds. Does this seem pushy? I don't want to be pushy. I shake my head and make my mind up by sliding it across the table to Harry. He stares at it before opening his hand motioning at me to give him a pen. I hand over my pen and watch as he writes. After he's done, he slides it back across the table.

I had some things to do.

I stare at it before glancing at him. He stares straight ahead. When he notices me looking, he turns around for a few seconds holding my gaze with a serious expression before turning back to the front of the class. I furrow my eyebrows and put both hands on my head staring at the paper for a little longer.

Things? What things? Why does he always say that and never tell me the truth? He's obviously keeping something from me but I don't know what.

Ok. Are you still okay for driving me home after this period?

I pass the note back to Harry. He glances at it before reaching for my pen. He scribbles down a message and then passes it back.

I've got to meet someone really quickly after school. If it's okay with you, can you wait in my car for a couple of minutes? I'll give you the keys when the bell rings.

I read the note and look up at Harry again who stares at me intently. I nod my head in response. He gives me a reassuring nod before turning back around.

The rest of the class I stare at the board letting my vision blur.

Meeting with someone he says... why won't he tell me who? It's probably that Jay guy... Who's Jay and why won't Harry tell me the truth?

The bell rings and Harry puts his car keys in my hands before running out of the door. I grab my bag as quickly as possible and go to my locker. I walk into the parking lot and press the buttons on the keys. I glance up when I hear the beeping of Harry's car. I open the door and get in, closing the door behind me. I sit in the car and cross my arms looking at everyone that passes by. I decide to look back at the grass. Not as many people are leaving the school now because they all ran out beforehand. I notice two girls sitting in the grass with their homework. I stare at them a little longer before deciding to turn around. Right as I turn my head I see the side doors fling open. This person wears brown boots and black jeans. They have a sweater on with the hood covering their face. I can see a black shirt underneath because the sweater is slightly unzipped. Brown curls come out from under the hood. When I squint my eyes I recognize Harry's walk.

Indiscreet bastard.

He walks quickly across the grass towards the trees. I have to make up my mind and fast.

I throw my bag in the back and jump out of the car. I grab the keys and lock the door behind me. I run after him but stay hidden behind the cars. When he disappears through the trees, I run as fast as I can to where he entered. I slow down and stand behind a tree. I hear the faint sound of branches breaking. I follow the sound until it stops completely. When it stops, the sound of voices merge together creating a low hum in the air. I get closer but stay hidden behind the trees.