chapter twenty-two

( unedited, sorry guys! i'll edit soon though xx )

Michael

He was playing guitar with Ashton when he saw Luke's dad come walking towards his house. He was straightening his tie as he looked both ways down the street before crossing. He met Michael's eyes quickly, and he had goosebumps running up his arms.

"Is that-"

"Yeah." Michael nodded and Ashton immediately set his hand over the receiver on his own Fender Stratocaster. "I wonder why he's here..." He trailed off.

He silenced his guitar by turning down the volume on the instrument and then smiling politely. "Good morning, Mr. Hemmings. What can I do for you to-"

"You're dating my son, right?" He asked, standing outside of their garage as he ignored Ashton all together. Michael unplugged his guitar, shutting his amp off as he slid it back into his guitar rack.

"I am, is something wrong? Is Luke okay?" He asked as he walked up to the adult, sliding his hands into the back pocket of his jeans.

"Why are you dating my son?"

Ashton snorted from the back of his garage and Mr. Hemmings shot him a dirty look, making him shut up. "You're broken. Be quiet."

"Excuse me sir, but that's no way to talk to our friend." Michael stepped closer to Andrew, blocking his view from the high school senior. "His sexual orientation is not your business."

"I want you to stay away from my son. Luke is too good for you, and doesn't need your influence." The adult snapped at him before checking his watch. "Wasting my time talking to a couple of delinquents-"

"By all means, you can leave." Michael told him, pointing out to the adult's car. "Luke and I like each other, we're dating, and we're happy. Sorry Mr. Hemmings, you're supposed to lead the life you love, and if you love belittling people for their sexualities then I feel sorry for you."

"You cannot talk to me like that."

"We bought this house sir. We live here and you came on to our property targeting me. Please leave." Michael shook his head, wondering what the hell was wrong with him. How could he talk to his boyfriend's dad so disrespectfully?

"Very well. But Luke will not be hanging out around the two of you anymore. I'll be switching his schools, and making sure you both stay away from him." The adult finalized, turning his back to walk away.

"What the fuck did I do? I just existed!" Ashton shouted, and Michael crossed his arms as he watched Andrew walk back to his car.

"I don't know why he suddenly hates me. He catchea us kissing one time and suddenly it's like I keyed his Mercedes Benz." Michael scoffed, turning around to walk up to his new best friend. "Don't listen to him Ash. He's bluffing."

"What if he isn't?" He asked and Michael shook his head as he set his hand on the older boy's shoulder.

"Then we can still get Calum to sneak him out so he can hang out with us and I still live right in front of them. Don't worry." Michael chuckled, sitting down on his washer machine.

"Hey, do you think I'm broken?" Ashton asked and Michael looked at him. "Just because I don't like-"

"I think he's broken, for belittling a bunch of teenagers for their sexual orientations." Michael assured him. "There's nothing wrong with you."

"I mean, it's kinda weird... isn't it? Not to be attracted to anyone?" Ashton asked, and Michael could sense his insecurity.

"No, it's fine. It's not weird at all. Don't let him get to you." Michael smiled. "You do you. Don't let anyone change who you are."

"Thanks Mike," Ashton chuckled and the younger boy nodded. "So your birthday is in a few weeks, any plans?"

"I really just wanted to stay home, invite a few people over and play games or watch movies. Nothing too big, just some cake, pizza, and ahen my parents leave, a couple of beers." Michael explained and Ashton laughed.

"Text me when and I'll be here." The older boy promised and Michael nodded. "I'll get Calum to sneak Luke over here."

"I hope so. I'll be damned if my boyfriend can't celebrate my birthday with me because his dad is homophobic." He sighed and then took a drink of his Arizona tea.

He really hopes Luke's dad wasn't serious when he said he was changing Luke's schools and making sure they couldn't hang out. He really likes the kid.

-

"My dad doesn't like you."

"My dad doesn't like me either." Michael sighed as they sat on top of the hood of his car. A blanket was draped over theyheir shoulders, and Luke had on Michael's denim jacket with frayed sleeves and rips every few inches of fabric.

"I think it's just because we're dating. He doesn't like that I'm gay and to be dating someone is just another slap in his face." Luke sighed, leaning his head on Michael's shoulders.

"He said he wanted to switch your school and make sure you can't hang out with Ash and I. Seems like he really does only like Calum." Michael forced a smile, and kissed the younger blonde's head. "I'm just gonna end up sneaking you out."

"Don't you always?" Luke hummed and Michael chuckled as the sound of Go Radio's song Goodnight Moon played out of his mini speaker behind them.

"I feel bad," Michael spoke up, setting his hand on Luke's leg gently. "I feel bad about that night at the party."

"Why do you feel bad? I'm the one who fucked up." Luke replied, turning to face him.

"It's just, it was your first time and it happened because we drank too much. That's no way to... you know... lose it." Michael's eyes ran over Luke's face.

"It's fine. I uh... set myself up for it anyways by agreeing." Luke shrugged, looking down at the hood of the car.

"No, let me make it up to you."

It was silent after that, and the two looked at each other underneath the bright white light of the moon. The words could mean so many things, and he wonders even what he meant by it. He had an idea in the back of his head, but he didn't want to come off as weird and just straight up say it.

"What do you mean?" Luke asked quietly and Michael shrugged his shoulders. "You mean like... actually be sober when we have sex?"

Michael hesitated, and then nodded, realizing a dinner or a new pair of shoes couldn't make up for losing your virginity at a Halloween party. "Yeah. I can treat you like a prince. No, I will treat you like a prince, instead of whatever happened that night." Michael told him, biting down on his bottom lip.

"Here?"

"No, God no." Michael shook his head as Luke giggled. "Another time. When the time is right and we have all the time in the world."

"I'd like that." Luke nodded and Michael smiled. "Gimme a kiss for now, please?"

"Only because you're the cutest boy I've ever seen." Michael agreed and then pressed his lips against the blonde's.