chapter thirteen

Luke

Michael didn't lie when he said he'd make a playlist full of indie and pop-punk just for the date. He was listening to All Time Low right now, Dear Maria, Count Me In playing through the speakers.

"Okay, so I didn't wanna be weird and put love songs cause we just kind met, so I filled it with songs that kinda remind me of you." Michael explained and Luke shrugged ad he looked at him.

"Well why does this song remind me of you?"

"You want an honest answer?" He asked, and his green eyes met Luke's briefly before turning back to the road, though it was pretty much cleared out.

"Of course I do." Luke smiled, crossing his legs as he leaned back in his seat, the cold air running in through the windows.

"It doesn't really. It had this line where Alex sings about someone being wrapped around a finger it's like, you. Literally just you pop in my head. Plus, I also imagine you're the kinda person to jump around and sing the lyrics when songs like this come on." Michael shrugged and Luke looked down at his thigh boots, playing with the edge that wrapped round his leg perfectly.

"Yeah?"

Michael nodded as he tapped his thumb on the steering wheel. "Plus, you like All Time Low, right? That's also why."

"I love them." Luke corrected, smiling as he stared at the stereo. "Every song that's played I've loved, even if I didn't know the name of it or the artist."

"Then it was a success." Michael grinned happily as Luke looked up through the sunroof of the car. He watched the stars pass and as the song switched, he turned to look at Michael.

He didn't know how he got here, sitting in the passenger side of a senior's car on their way to a restaurant for their first date. He could have sworn that every boy ever besides his two best friends would try to stay away from him in fear of being called a fag or a loser.

"Why are you staring at me?"

"I mean, it's kinda weird being on a date. I haven't went on one since the eighth grade." He admitted as he played with his ring. "Kinda surreal."

"You're counting the drive as apart of the date?" Michael chuckled as he turned his blinker on, slowing the car down as he made a turn.

"Yeah, cause' it's just me and you in the car with some really nice songs playing." Luke shrugged as Michael left only one hand on the steering wheel, the other resting on the center console beside Luke's.

"Wouldn't call them nice, just catchy and upbeat." Michael shrugged. "I'll take your word for it though. I'm just trying to impress you."

"You don't have to. Just be yourself." Luke advised as Michael held his hand, their fingers lacing together. "I like you."

"Thanks for the tip, next time I'll just throw on a leather jacket and ripped jeans. I spent nearly an hour looking for clothes that weren't washed with scissors and didn't have strange patches and studs on it." Michael admitted as they crossed a well lit up bridge over a river.

"Please? I like your ripped jeans and jackets." Luke told him as they hit a red light. The older boy nodded, looking at Luke as he waited for the light to turn green.

"You know, you're actually so gorgeous."

"Thank you." Luke smiled as Yellowcard began to play, one of his favourite songs ever. "Oh! I love this song!"

Michael nodded and turned the radio up a bit more for him, and Luke began singing along to Ocean Avenue louder than he should have. He thought he was a bad singer, but when Michael gave him the 'holy shit' look, he began to blush and quiet down.