chapter eleven

Luke

It was midnight and Luke was bored. All he's done today is make fun of Calum for being Calum and actually do his school work. He couldn't see his friends at lunch since he had to finish a test and his mom didn't even let him leave the room until all his work was finished, even his paper that isn't due until next Thursday.

By then it was too late to go hang out with them, which he's still slightly bitter about.

Michael had stopped texting him about ten minutes ago, talking about a late night snack since he was hungry. Luke could also go for food, but he also knew he wasn't hungry and was just bored.

He wanted to do something, anything. He had all this energy and he wasn't just going to lay in bed while scrolling through Instagram, something he does more than he'll ever admit.

So he jumped out of his bed and went to his closet, switching his pajama pants for a pair of plain black leggings. He pulled on an Adidas t-shirt before slipping his matching sneakers on, lacing them up and grabbing his phone.

He left his room quietly, walking downstairs to see his mom on the couch reading her book. "Mommy, I'm going for a quick run." He told her and she looked up.

"It's nearly one in the morning."

"I can't sleep. I'll be home before three, promise." He assured her and she sighed after a moment or two.

"Fine, whatever. Go ahead." She waved him off and he headed towards the front door, closing it behind him.

He looked up at Michael's house, seeing something light up the room. It was too dim to be the actual light, so he had to be watching TV or something. Maybe playing video games.

Maybe I can get Michael to come with me, he thought to himself before jogging over to the boy's house.

He picked small pebbles off of the driveway and street, standing underneath the window and tossing them upwards to the glass. "Mikey!" He called, his voice hushed slightly since it was late.

When he ran out of tiny rocks is when Michael opened the window, rubbing his eyes before peering down. "Luke? What the hell are you doing?" He asked as he looked behind him. "It's one in the morning."

"Stop eating hot cheetos and come down here."

"Okay, for the record, it was popcorn. I was eating popcorn." Michael told him as Luke crossed his arms. "What the hell we you trying to get me down there for?"

"Come running with me." Luke whined and it was silent before Michael started laughing, making the younger boy pout.

"Fuck you."

"Please?" He begged, sticking his bottom lip out and rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet. "Please?"

-

"Fuck... you..." Michael panted as he held his bo st up against the pole of a street light. He wiped his forehead and then looked at Luke with narrowed eyes. "I hate you."

"Come on, we haven't even ran a mile yet." Luke huffed, and Michael wrapped his arms around the cold metal pole.

"I should have known better than to truth people who prefer Adidas over Nike." Michael complained since the two were in totally different sports brand attire. "You're Satan."

"I'm Luke."

Michael flipped the blonde off and then pulled himself away from the streetlight. "Okay, come on. I can go... maybe. Fuck I'm tired." Michael complained as he stood up straight with his hands on his hips.

"We can go back -"

"No. You wanted to go run, fucking hell - let's run."

Luke smiled to himself as Michael began running again, following him across the empty streets and sidewalks. The cold air didn't bother them now that they were running around. It was kind of hot actually, and Luke had sweat beading at his forehead as he ran beside Michael.

"I haven't... went on a run... since I was being chased by cops." Michael complained and Luke stopped, staring at Michael with his eyebrows pushed together.

"You have a criminal record?"

"Friends and I just went and spray painted a highway... following that up by standing on top of it and flashing the cars down below our nipples." He explained and Luke laughed.

"You know, your appearance says 'oh look at me, I get in trouble with the cops and play guitar - fuck the system'..." Luke pointed out as he jogged backwards just so he was face to face with the boy. "But your personality is like 'I love you and you and you and want nothing but the best for you'."

"I am an angsty teenage boy who hates half the world, but can't deny that I love the other half." Michael chuckled as he looked around. "Where are we exactly?"

"You're new around here, just trust me. I know the city like the back of my hand." Luke grinned and Michael just nodded.

-

"Come in. My parents are out late tonight." Michael laughed breathlessly as Luke stood awkwardly at the door. "I'll even cook you food."

"We just went on a run, that's counter productive."

"You mean you actually thought, 'I'm going exercising at midnight'? Like you didn't do it just to get out of the house or because you couldn't sleep?" Michael asked and Luke shrugged.

"Kind of? But also because Halloween is like next Tuesday. I want to work out now so I can eat all the candy I want."

"That's smart." Michael chuckled as Luke walked inside his house. "What are you going to be this year?"

"Dunno. Maybe a vampire. Maybe."

"I know, let me be your boyfriend for Halloween." Michael winked as the two headed towards the kitchen.

"Dude, that's fucking scary." Luke joked as he looked at the boy. "My boyfriend? You'd scare everyone there."

"Only if they're homophobes."

"Half the world is." Luke sighed as Michael wrapped his fingers around the younger blonde's wrist. "My parents kind of are."

"Are they?"

"Yeah. They don't say it, but I can just kind of feel it, you know? They really don't like anything I do or find interest in. It's like... I'm not the son they wanted, but they put up with me because I'm still their kid." Luke explained and Michael nodded. "I don't know. It's weird."

"I'm so sorry." Michael apologized ad he pulled the blonde closer. "If it helps, you're not alone. My parents are against me too, the whole music thing. If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you. We kinda just met, but you're already more important to me than a good ninety-nine percent of the human population."

"Who's that one percent?"

"They're a pain in my ass, but I'd do absolutely anything for my family." Michael admitted and Luke nodded, agreeing with him.

"Next time I feel down, I'll talk to you, but you gotta do the same to me. I'm here for you too."

Luke held his pinky up and Michael looked at his little finger, laughing before wrapping his own around it. "Promise." He nodded as they smiled at one another.