chapter seventeen

Luke

He smiled to his reflection as he wiped a clear, yet glittery lip gloss over his pouty pink lips. He capped it when he finished, setting down in a tray full of all of his other lip products that ranged from chapstick to liquid matte lipstick.

He picked his is flower clip, pinning back some of his hair before clipping it in. The choker around his neck was a little loose he decided, so he tightened the thick velvet material some more before pulling his cropped sweatshirt down.

He'd date himself if he wasn't already dating Michael.

He threw his leather bag over his shoulder after pulling his shorts up, careful not to rip his delicate fishnet bodysuit. He made his way out of his room, finding his mom on the chair with a book in her hands and her rectangular glasses perched low on her nose.

"Where do you think you're  going dressed like that, Luke?"

"School?" The teen tried as he mom looked over his outfit with a judgemental gaze. "It's not against dress code, mommy. My shorts are past my fingers, my sweater covers my tummy, and I'm not wearing open toed shoes. It's fine."

"Don't kids at school make fun of you for dressing like that?" She asked him and Luke looked down at his thigh high boots, not wanting to answer that just to hear, 'of course they do'. "Why do you go put yourself through that? Just wear normal boy clothes, Luke."

"But-"

"I'd rather you be uncomfortable in a pair of loose jeans and a t-shirt instead of have kids pick on you, and for people to get the wrong idea about you." She finally told him and Luke's throat tightened.

"What's that wrong idea?" Luke asked as he crossed his arms, trying to hide his tears with anger. "What wrong idea?"

"You don't look... decent."

"You mean... I don't look like a boy?" Luke asked as he heard the bus pull up from behind the door. "You mean because I dress like a girl, I don't look decent?"

"Luke-"

"I shouldn't have to look decent for people to respect me, mom. I'm just as human as the next boy over." He shook his head as he tightened his grip on his bag. "If I change, I'm staying home."

"Go upstairs, Luke." His mom demanded and Luke looked towards the front door. "Go put on jeans, or something."

"Why can't you just accept me?" Luke asked, his voice begging and just broken as tears made his eyes shine and burn. "I know... I know that I'm weird. I know I'm abnormal because I wear girls' clothes and I like boys the same way the girl next door does but... but I'm still your son - your youngest child."

"Luke, we're not having this discussion right now-"

"Why not?" He asked and there was a knock on the door. "It's probably my boyfriend, wondering why I missed the bus. What do I tell him? My mom would rather me feel uncomfortable and oppressed instead of letting me be who I am?"

She didn't answer, and Luke looked at the door again sadly. "Tell him I'll be out in a minute... I have to change." He wiped his eyes with the back of his hands and then ran upstairs quickly.

-

"What's wrong, Luke?" Calum asked, and the blonde shrugged him off. "You look... not like yourself."

"Yeah. I miss your little flower clip and cute makeup looks. Gives me ideas to give Lauren since she loves makeup." Ashton pitched and the blonde bit his lip.

"Nothing wrong. Just outta' clothes. I have to do laundry..." He sighed as he looked down at his semi-loose black jeans and Adidas. "It's nothing."

"He just woke up on the wrong side of the bed toda, guys. It's okay." Michael smiled smally as he put his arm around Luke.

He felt his heart ache, cause' he didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Something was wrong. He woke up happy as ever, feeling confident, cute, and ready for school, until his mom made him change. That's when his mood fell, and it just feels falling and falling.

He rested his forehead on Michael's shoulder, his hood pulled over his head as he closed his eyes. He just wanted to disappear at this point. Not quite forever, but for now, for the rest of the school day. He was only bringing his friends' mood down by being there, pretending to be fine when they all know it's a lie.

"I want brownies." Luke pouted, trying his best to be like his normal self. His whiny, cute, and bubbly self.

"I'll go buy you some at the gas station down the street, sweetheart. Do you want me to?" Michael asked and Luke nodded. "Alright, come on."

"Why don't you ever do that for me?" Calum cried to Ashton, who choked on his soda.

"When the fuck were we dating?"

Luke laughed as he followed Michael, their hands intertwined as they walked to the front office. "Excuse me. Boys?" An elderly staff member asked and the two turned around.

"Yes sir?" Luke asked and his eyes gazed down to their hands. Luke's heart dropped, wondering if he was going to lecture them on their 'PDA' and 'sins'.

He didn't.

"There's a pride parade next month on the tenth. My daughter and daughter-in-law are going. You two should go aswell." He smiled kindly and the two teenagers looked at each other. "Entry is five dollars, and I'll be working a shirt stand. Stop by if you can."

"Of course sir." Michael grinned, clearly glad he wasn't being homophobic towards them. Luke too was relieved as he nodded.

"We'll be there." He promised, leaning his head on Michael's shoulder again. "Thank you for telling us."

"You're welcome, boys. Don't let what anyone tells you get to you. Love is love, and we all deserve to love whoever we want." He laughed before walking off towards the portables where the JROTC class was.

"He's nice." Luke sighed happily and then laughed when Michael grabbed his fave and kissed his cheek. "Mikey..."

"Sorry, I just wanna show off that I have the cutest boy in the world to be my boyfriend." Michael teased and Luke hummed as they continued their journey off campus.

"Cutest boy? I look like garbage right now." He whined and Michael shook his head.

"You can wear a ballerina tutu and neon purple leg warmers and you'd still be the cutest boy in the world." Michael told him and Luke shook his head this time.

"I'd never get a job in the industry if I dressed like that," Luke snorted as he rubbed his eye. "Or if I dressed like this."

"Why are you dressed like that? I miss your high waited pants and crop tops. They're cute." Michael commented and Luke sighed.

"Parents." He answered, hoping he wouldn't have to go into detail about the situation.

"Oh..." The older boy trailed off. "Do you ever break your parents' rules?" He asked and Luke was confused.

"What do you mean?"

"Well..."