chapter twelve

Michael

"Mama, I'm going out tonight. I'll be back later on tonight, if not, then tomorrow morning before lunch." He informed her and his mom grabbed his arm.

"And where exactly are you going, young man?" She asked and Michael smiled sheepishly.

"To visit old friends since I'm not yet working again and there's no school on Saturday or Sunday?" He tried and she was silent as she dried some dishes off.

"Okay." She nodded after a moment or two and he smiled. "Fine. I won't stop you, but just know, if you come home in a police car or I have to go pick you up at a station, you're grounded until you die."

"Got it. Thank you." Michael grinned happily before kissing her cheek. "I'm leaving at six."

"Why so late?"

"They're my friends, mama. They don't wake up until three in the afternoon and they take an hour or two to clean their rooms, which their parents make them do even thought I've known them since elementary." He laughed and she nodded.

"That is true." She nodded and handed Michael her car keys. "Don't die, babe."

"I won't, I promise."

He headed upstairs and then checked his watch as he closed his door, finding that he had a little under an hour to get dressed for his date. "Oh God... do I have anything that's not distressed?" He asked himself, panicking slightly since he wasn't going to wear ripped clothes on their first date.

He rushed to his closet, pushing through the jackets and long sleeved shirts. "Cut by the collarbone... holes by the hem... torn right near my lower ribcage... fuck. I'm fucked."

He ran a hand through his hair, tearing through his drawers and nightstand to find something nice enough to wear. He miraculously found a white long sleeved shirt that wasn't dirty, and pulled it on, a denim jacket followed.

He didn't even know he had a jacket without rips.

He tugged on a pair of black skinny jeans, that seemed to have met his washer one too many times based on its faded color, an then he slid on a pair of socks and Vans. His phone rang and he immediately reached for it, answering it when he saw at was Calum's contact.

"Yeah?"

"Listen here," he heard and Michael furrowed his eyebrows. "Luke is gonna look fucking cute for this date, alright? You better not hurt him and you better make sure you treat him like the prince that he is. Oh, and don't call him princess, he hates it. He feels mocked if you call him princess or baby girl or any other girl name."

"How do you go from threatening me to telling me what petnames he prefers?" Michael laughed and Calum was silent. "I understand though. I promise that I won't hurt him. I'd never."

"Good. Good." Calum hummed and then he heard Luke's voice from the other side of the phone.

"Calum! Stop threatening him! He's scarier than you!"

Michael laughed and the phone was hung up soon after, leaving him alone to decide what the hell he was going to do for this date. He can't remember where he put the CD he made, and he can't remember where his other black and white Vans skate high sneaker.

-

"Flowers? Check. Wallet? Check. Keys? Check. Cd? Check." Michael listed as he sat in the car. "Making sure I'm on time so I don't seem like a lousy date... check in t-minus ten seconds."

He laughed as he drove his car literally right across the street, not even having to move the littlest bit. He stepped out and then adjusted his denim jacket before fixing his overgrown fringe, one he's spent so long on trying to perfect.

A deep breath later, and a few breath mints after, he made his way to the front door with his bones shaking and his nerves on overdrive. He rang the doorbell and then waited patiently, counting the seconds of awkward standing and nervous thoughts.

When he started counting, he was wondering if his outfit was too simple. By five, he was worried that Luke didn't want to follow through with the date and was going to come out in pajamas saying he wasn't feeling it. By ten, he was rocking on the balls of his feet and holding a small bouquet of roses by his chest, glad he had taken the time to trim the thorns.

At fifteen, right before he hit sixteen, Luke was opening the door and looking gorgeous at ever. He's never seen him with heavy makeup on, usually pale colors and highlight with mascara, but he has to admit, Luke looked amazing in a dark blush and glitter lined eyeliner.

Wasn't it called a cut crease?

He didn't fucking know, but it looked beautiful.

"Hey..." Luke smiled sweetly, his burgundy lips pulling upwards as he clasped his hands in front of him.

"H-Hi..." Michael stammered, taken back by how Luke looked so good in such a simple outfit of skinny jeans and a sweater. What kind of deal did he make to Satan? "These are for you."

"Thank you." Luke gasped, grabbing the bouquet and opening the door wider for him. "Come in while I put these in a vase, it's cold outside."

Michael walked inside the of his house, seeing Calum walk downstairs in just a pair of sweats. "You better treat my best friend like a fucking prince."

"I will." Michael promised as he watched Luke walk upstairs. "God, I most definitely will."

"Not just in bed."

"No shit." Michael laughed and Calum rose his thick, yet still nicely shaped, eyebrow. "I know. I promise I'll treat him the way he deserves, like he deserves the entire universe and more."

"Good." Calum nodded and turned around as they both heard Luke's footsteps. "Have fun kids, but not too much fun, I'm warning you. You may not get pregnant, but you will be sore and limping so please, save yourself the humiliation."

"Fuck you." Luke blushed and then stood beside Michael. "You can leave now, dad. Thanks."

"Your parents think you're going to Ashton's house, so you better leave within the next... five minutes. They'll be back soon." He winked and Michael began leading Luke to the door. "Your mom loves me, she won't mind me dating here and talking to her about everything you don't want in life."

Michael heard Luke's quiet sigh, and he set a hand on his back. "I'll be back later. Bye Cal." Luke kissed his cheek before walking outside the front door.

"Luke's a pretty boy, Mikey, inside and out though everyone only sees the latter. Take care of him." Calum reminded and Michael nodded.

"Of course. See you later, Calum." Michael smiled and Calum closed the door behind them. "Hey, flower."

"Yeah?"

Luke turned around and nodded as Michael approached him. "I didn't tell you yet, but you look absolutely beautiful." Michael grinned and Luke looked down at his burgundy boots. "You look amazing."

"Thank you. Calum said I wore too much makeup but I feel cute." Luke laughed lightly before biting his bottom lip.

"You are cute, really cute." Michael assured and then walked towards the passenger seat. He opened the door, only to remember his car was locked, which triggered the alarm.

Luke laughed and Michael blushed as he immediately began fishing his pockets for his keys. He turned the alarm off and then unlocked the car, opening the door finally. "I uh... your highness?" Michael tried, and Luke shook his head, kissing Michael's cheek before sitting down inside of the car.

Michael closed the door, walking to the driver's side. He reached for the handle, and he gasped when he heard Luke lock the doors. Michael unlocked the car again, shaking his head as he sat down and closed his door.

"You're a little snake." Michael teased and Luke shrugged as he leaned close to Michael. "Did you want me to trigger the alarm again?"

"Maybe."

Michael leaned close to Luke, filling the gap between them. "Do you kiss on the first date?" Michael asked and Luke laughed lightly.

"We already kissed before, does it matter?"

"You've got a point." Michael grinned and then closed his eyes as he pressed his lips against Luke's.