Chapter 48 - Tears

Enoch's P.O.V

Horace and I reached the edge of the house grounds, both panting heavily. I checked my pocket subconsciously for the engagement ring, relaxing slightly as I felt the familiar cold silver touch my finger.
Horace sank to the ground, eyes wide. "Goodness. That was... Exciting."
I laughed, joining him. "Very much agreed, mate."
We sat there for a couple of minutes, regaining our breath and celebrating our priceless (quite literally) victory. Until I saw her... Stalking across the grass towards us, arms folded, eyes replaced for lasers, it seemed.

"Shit," I whispered. "Horace, give me the rings."
Horace pulled out the two gold rings from his pocket, quickly shoving them into my palm, and I placed them with the other silver ring in my pocket. He then got to his feet, brushing off his trousers with his hands. "I will leave you to it," he said hurriedly, walking swiftly towards the house. I could see him increase his speed slightly when (Y/N) tried (and failed) to intercept him.

I picked myself up from the ground, bracing myself for my girlfriend's attack. Don't get me wrong, she was the sweetest, most adorable girl anyone could wish for... But she was fierce, angry and stubborn.

As soon as she reached me, she punched the top of my right arm, hard. I winced, knowing that, in a couple of days, it would bruise.
"Enoch O'Connor," she said, staring up at me (I was at least 5 inches taller than her).
I tried to put my hands on her waist, but she slapped them off, scowling. I retreated, raising my hands in mock surrender.
"Uh... I'm sorry for whatever I did...?"
She continued to scowl, but I could see that she was trying to hold in a smile. I stuck my tongue out at her and went cross-eyed, and she burst out with a single laugh.
"Ugh, whatever, it was stupid anyway. I just wanted to know where you went." She raised her eyebrows expectantly, and I scratched my head.
"Well... It was kind of a secret, but... I guess - I guess I can tell you now."
I took a deep breath.
For the first time in my life, I felt scared of (Y/N). I was scared that I loved her this much. She was the only person with the power to destroy me, without even touching me... And I was completely and irrevocably in love with her. If she rejected me now, I'd have to survive an eternity living with her, but in irreversible pain.

Maybe I shouldn't ask her, I thought to myself. We could just be girlfriend and boyfriend. We don't need to be married.
But I love her.
But she might reject me.
But I need to ask her.

"Hey, Enoch, you okay?" (Y/N) made me snap back to reality, and I looked up, startled.
"Yeah, I just - " I tried to continue talking, but there was something in my throat. I swallowed, but it didn't budge. And then it decided to come out of my mouth in the form of a sob.
"(Y/N), I love you - " I said, pulling her closer to me by her left hand, and failing to stop the tears falling from my eyes. They ran down my face, and I tried to wipe them away, but more kept flowing, at a quicker rate then I could brush them off.

 They ran down my face, and I tried to wipe them away, but more kept flowing, at a quicker rate then I could brush them off

(Y/N) cupped my face with her hands and frowned, concerned. "Enoch, baby, what's wrong? You can tell me... You can always tell me."
I nodded quickly, sniffing as more salty tears poured out. I stuck a hand in my pocket, avoiding my girlfriend's gaze, rifling for the ring. As I brought it out clumsily, (Y/N)'s eyes widened, and I could see tears start to form in her eyes too. "Oh, Enoch..." she whispered, caressing the side of my face and my jawline as I sobbed some more.

"I - I love you so much," I said haltingly, choking through my tears, "And I know that I want to stay with you forever. But... I just... I want it to be more. Everyone sees us as 'just a couple'. We're - We're so much more than that. We mean more than that. So... (Y/N)," I stifled another sob, "Will you... Will you marry me?"
A single tear rolled down her face. "Of course, Enoch. Of course," she whispered.
I wrapped my arms around her waist and buried my face in the crook of her neck, as she stroked my hair and held me.

"Never let go," I breathed, "Please..."