Chapter 47 - Stolen

Enoch's P.O.V

Horace and I ran through the woods, carefully not to make too much noise. I don't mean to say that she would, of course, but if (Y/N) were to... Follow us, it would be easier for her if she had some kind of sound to trace. However, Horace and I being as we are (clumsy idiots) we managed to trip over logs and sticks, despite the bright sunlight.

There is only one jewellers in Cairnholm, and it also doubles up as the 'fiddly repairs' shop. I wasn't expecting much choice of rings, but I was in a hurry, and, anyway, it's all about the symbolism... Whether the ring is intricate or not doesn't mean a thing, right?
A tinkle of a bell rang out as I pushed the door to the dark shop open gently. Horace was following close behind, constantly muttering about how stupid I am, and why this was such a bad idea.
An old man behind a counter looked up as we entered. "Good day to you. How can I help you both?"
I scratched my head. "I'm looking for an engagement ring... And two wedding rings."
He raised an eyebrow. "You look a bit young to be getting married... What are you, 17?"
I pretended to be disgruntled, and I scowled believably. "Really? I'm 21."
"That's still rather young to be dedicating your life to some girl."
"She's not just some - "
Horace interrupted, raising a finger. "Hey. We'll just get the rings, and then we'll never bother you again. Promise."
The old man humphed, before sighing and agreeing. "Fine. The engagement rings are over there," he pointed to a small cabinet in the closest corner to us, "And the wedding rings are there," he pointed to a larger cabinet next to us.
"Thanks," I said, trying to keep the sarcasm out of my voice (it is difficult, trust me).

I strolled over to the engagement rings, trying not to get my hopes up. I mean, there wasn't going to be the hugest collection, but some part of me still had hope.
There were around twenty different rings in the glass display case, and, to my disappointment, most seemed to be embellished with over-sized and brightly coloured jewels. I didn't want that for (Y/N). I wanted something subtler, more elegant, like her.
I turned my head to Horace and said, "What do you think, mate?"
He shrugged. "You know her the best. Are there any in there that might be good?"
I scanned the case quickly, and came back up, shaking my head. "Nope, there aren't... Wait."
A silver ring in the corner had caught my eye. I inspected it closer, to find that there were three, small diamonds encased in the glistening metal. "This one," I said, out of the corner of my mouth, to Horace, "This... This is the one."
The shopkeeper sauntered up to us, and unlocked the cabinet with a small, bronze key, before picking the silver band up and placing it gently in his palm. "This one has been up for sale for years, but no-one has ever considered purchasing it. I don't know why... It is a beautiful ring." He held it up to the light, inspecting it closely. "Look at that hallmark..." the man whispered to himself, almost lovingly. Is it possible to get a jewelry based boner, I wonder?
I cleared my throat to get his attention. "How much is it?"
"Oh, for a ring like this... £1,000."
I almost choked. "What?" Sure, because technically Miss Peregrine doesn't have to buy anything for us, and we don't have to buy anything for ourselves, the peculiar children and I are pretty well off. And if you add up the money that the Bird sometimes gets from doing odd jobs around the town... Then we have more than enough. But, nevertheless, I hadn't brought anywhere near that ridiculous amount.
I glanced over to where Horace had been, but he was standing shiftily by the wedding rings, eyeing two simple, gold wedding rings. He looked up at me, giving me a meaningful stare, and discreetly pretended to smash the glass of the cabinet. I frowned at him, confused, before my eyes widened with understanding at his gesture.
"Oh, um..." I cleared my throat awkwardly, trying to distract the man. "Can... Can I try it on?"
"Excuse me?"
"My girlfriend has a similar finger size to mine," I lied, "It would be useful for trying out the size."
The shopkeeper frowned, but agreed, handing the ring over gently.
I held the ring for a while, and then glanced up at Horace. He held up three fingers.
Three.
Two.
One.
I twisted my body round and started to sprint out of the shop, not very quickly, as a couple of display cabinets and shelves were blocking the way. As I ran out of the door, I heard a loud smash, and an angry shout (presumably from the shopkeeper). I paused for half a second, and then Horace, with two, plain, gold wedding rings in his hand sprinted past, his eyes wide as he watched the man stare darkly at the shattered glass, and the spaces where the rings used to be. But then Horace was leaning against the outside wall to breath, and the shopkeeper had also come to his senses. I yelled, "Run!" and pulled my friend's arm, sprinting through the midday crowds on the streets.

For a while, we ran like that, occasionally checking for the shopkeeper behind us. All three of us kept a steady pace, Horace and I in front, and the man a couple of feet behind.

As we approached the forest, Horace started to slow, panting heavily. I let him rest against a tree for a while, judging by the fact that, as far as I could see, the man wasn't anywhere near us. I patted him on the back, breathing almost as hard. "Well done, mate... That was a good idea."
Horace nodded breathlessly. "We - we should probably keep going..."
"No, it's okay... Catch your breath. We don't need to go anywhere for a while... I don't see the shopkeeper anywhere."

And then I felt hot breath on the back of my neck. "That's because," the shopkeeper hissed, "Young men such as you don't see what is right behind them."
"Fuck."
Horace's eyes widened, and he propped himself up against the tree. "Enoch..."
"Mate, go. Take the wedding rings... They're the most important ones."
Horace started to run unsurely, but before he could get very far, the man released me and grabbed Horace, twisting his arm. Horace gasped in pain.
"Let go of him!" I yelled, taking a step towards the shopkeeper. He just grinned menacingly and twisted Horace's arm further. I closed my eyes briefly, before making sure the engagement ring was secure in my pocket, and then ran towards the struggling pair.
I raised my leg and shoved my knee into the shopkeeper's crotch. He shrieked and swore, and let go of Horace, withdrawing slightly out of the entrance of the forest. I pushed my friend further in, trying to make him run, but before I could follow, the man grabbed my leg, pulling me to the ground.
And, instead of standing and staring, terrified, like a deer in headlights, Horace kicked the man's horizontal back, pushing him to the ground, and pulling me up.
"Go go go!" I shouted, as the man lay groaning on the ground.

And that is how, late in the afternoon, as I sprinted through a forest with three stolen rings and a blonde, suit-clad boy, I realised who my true friends really were.