Chapter Fourty-Nine

SONG: Sofia Karlberg - Crazy in Love (slowed)

I changed the flash drive to a videotape (cassette).

🌷

Derek Matthews

I have been so eager for the moment to arrive. Finally, it is here. Meeting April at the rooftop, at six in the evening. As discussed, it is just us, as my heart desired it to be. So far down, the rooftop is nonexistent, the illumination nonexistent. April's hair is tied up in a ponytail, skin marvellously flawless and glowing. She brightens as I enter, gripping two bags of Sri Lankan takeaway. A table has been propped up, her bag sagged to the floor.

"Your dogs?"

I draw out the containers. The aroma is delightful. "They're at home." 

I want to kiss her pout. She is winsome in a fluffy, purple jumper and blue jeans — her classic style.

She spreads an A1 sheet on the surface, a tied set of pencils, pens, colouring pencils, rulers and rubber on the side. She cringed. "You folded it?"

I unravel the blueprint. "It's a printed copy. Do you want me to help you draw?"

Her mouth twitches. "Can you draw?"

"Erm ..."

"That's a no."

"Actually—"

"You know what, don't do anything. You will ruin it."

I scoff. "How do you know?"

"I know you."

"Just let me. You're doing all the work—"

"Nein."

"But—"

"No," she says. "Want to hear it in Sinhala? Na."

The night is clouded and gloomed, the stars emulated across Edgewater City. I wish it would rain as it is reassuring and snugly — water streaming over the glass walls: breath-taking. I recommend playing music softly in the background — it could invigorate our creativity. April politely declines. She needs a thrilling silence to focus. We eat and chomp the cutlets and chicken rolls. We've been working on the intentions for an hour.

"Majority of the rooms have to be, well, bedrooms," she says. "Suites."

"The rest can be things like a gym, which is already there but it'll be extended."

I want the children to prioritise their health.

"You need places of worship. Mosques, chapels, temples, synagogues ... You have to research all the religions. Will you keep the pools?"

"Yes. For leisure activities. Should we make the pools bigger?"

"That or add more, and they could be different designs." She rapidly draws a perfect rectangle in the blank-white areas—the gardens— without a ruler. She scrutinises her drawing. "You could add sports — basketball courts, golf, football."

"Maybe convert the dining hall into a small restaurant. Have a library, too."

"They can't stay there forever."

"I know. I have to figure out how to make adoption processes easier. If none of them are adopted by eighteen, they need to get a job."

I need my own workforce.

"You do mindfulness stuff. Encourage them to do that ... Does it really work?"

"Definitely. Meditation brings a lot of healthy benefits."