Chapter Eight

SONG: Willow Smith - Wait A Minute

🌼

April Levesque

Detective Bravon is a dark-skinned, handsome man — afro, civet-like eyes, defined jaw bearded. "You weren't on anything?"

"No."

It is the afternoon. The police station is in the city centre. The sun blinds the skyscrapers, radiating a peaceful ambience onto the liveliness. The resonances are aching, different to the hushed roads I am used to. Mum is beside me, holding a coffee cup Detective Bravon kindly offered. Rose slumbers in the stroller at the corner of the room. Mum said we don't need a lawyer as the interrogation is solely about Bodie. She believes lawyers are for the guilty or those who crave significant help to win.

I told Ines, Jasmine and Naila what happened with Roy. I can inform the Detective, but I want to consult with Mum first. Fidgeting a sleeve ending, the exchange with Bodie is marring. I am incredulous about everything: Roy, Camila, if this atrocious rape ever occurred at all. I shouldn't. Camila has been self-harming. I have seen the scars. I have no right to be suspicious...

"Does April have to attend these trials?" asks Mum.

"The more statements, the more presences, the merrier. Or, we can use the recording and statement, if you're more comfortable with that."

I peer at his brown notepad and glance at the recording camera. Everything is out: Ines's party was like any other; coming across Derek Matthews unconscious on the floor; me discovering what truly happened; Camila's scars (with her permission to enlighten, of course). "I want to be there."

Mum brushes my back. "Are you sure?"

I nod confidently. If it means to help a girl, of course.

"Let's talk about this boy." Detective Bravon withdraws a picture of — thud — Roy. If my face could pale, it would be within a heartbeat. "Your boyfriend, correct?"

Does he know what Roy did? "Yes."

He places the photo on the notepad. "He is involved in this. There are reports that he assaulted Bodie Banks—"

Mum sits up. "I'm sorry, what?" She looks at me for an explanation.

"What did he do?" I ask.

The detective stares at Roy's cold eyes. "Him and his friends threatened to stab Bodie Banks at his own house, used knives as part of the act, although ended up beating him."

"Is he arrested?"

"He was bailed out," he says sadly. For some reason, bitterness overwhelms me. Some young, rich boys are certainly privileged. "All of those boys were. But they have been pressed with charges. Do you know why Roy did that, April? Why did those boys harm him?"

"No."

He puts down the ballpoint pen. "Is Roy violent?"

I briefly recall the groping — his hands mauling my breasts so painfully, it left marks and, somehow, a gnarly bruise. Tears clog my throat. "No," I croak.

Detective Bravon hesitates, analysing me like a psychologist. "Several others heard an argument between you two in Roy's garden." No one was bothered to help? "If you are comfortable, can you tell me what happened?"

"No comment."

He looks at Mum. "What are your thoughts on Roy Heston's behaviour, Mrs Levesque?"

"It's strange. We've known Roy for a long time. He's a wonderful boy—"