Chapter Twenty-Two

SONG: The Weeknd - Starboy

Derek's suit for the premiere:

🌺

Derek Matthews

Various recruits of the Azrael cramp the glamorous living room, in dark suits, palliated on sofas or ranged the walls, nattering, and eating and drinking refreshments customed by the chefs. The windows are partially opened and soft zephyr spurs in, the heavens for once a striking blue. Noise tranquil as heads swerve to me, of familiar faces and new. 

Luke is at the head of the table, coiling his Allfather ring, in a white wife beater and white sweatpants. Tanner is to his left, in a simple grey shirt and jeans. A chair to Luke's right is unoccupied. My frame involuntarily moves to it, nodding at Mother's creation in greeting.

Scrutinising the intensity of bodies, the matter is glaring. Sitting, I raise my head to encounter Lin's gaze, standing in between Hamilton sipping hot chocolate and a few of his comrades, Larry Cox and Endre Simko.

I have been productive all week. Attending out-of-the-blue interviews and solely visiting the public to strengthen that rapport, as encouraged by one of my advisors. It seems my action has marked my presence that removed the quintessential label of Samuel Matthews's son.

The second the atmosphere is hushed, Luke begins, "The depravity of recent incidents must be discussed." Most figures stir to me at his second choice of word. "It's evident that my brother's commendable decision has infuriated the Decagon, for whatever reason it may be — resentment or agitation or both. His safety has been jeopardised since the beginning of his ... let's say inception, which has further bombarded Tanner and everything our name stands for." He looks at me. "Derek."

"I saw Norin Freeman. The man who betrayed my Father. I saw ... Well, not personally. We merely came across Quinteros, Clybornes ..."

"Everstons," finished Tanner when I couldn't, and my mouth dried at Mother's name.

"A couple of snipers have been hired by them," says Luke. According to our spies in the Seraphim. "Perhaps to threaten or legitimately annihilate, I do not want to fuss over. I suppose it is in our blood to instigate bloodshed, hence that is why I organised this meeting. We have the Prospers' and Badamis' alliance in case of any abrupt stimulus. Nevertheless, it is foolish to ignore the little ... sparks of doubt I have.

"Derek and Tanner will proceed to do what they feel to do. They will establish their presence. It is a good thing we have supporters from my Aunt's Seraphim because that means my brothers' security will be intensified until we know for certain there are no bumps on the road. As much as I comprehend our position in society, it shouldn't limit our freedom and chance to have a normal life. That applies to tonight's theatre charity event.