Chapter Sixteen

SONG: Kids At Midnight - Boys Like You

April Levesque

Ines dropped me at Makayla's house. A contemporary bungalow, white-wall exterior, roseman-black windows and triangular, black roofs, equanimous and divine. Trees clad the edifice like a forest, birds mewing on the branches. Located in Warlington Lake — a humongous body of water nurturing catfishes and miniscule ripples, reflecting a broad stria of moonlight, pecked of silhouettes of ducks and swans, clusters of extravagant houses surrounding it. 

Opposite to us, on the other side of the lake, is a leisure centre: a Premier Inn, cafes like Costa, restaurants like Nandos.

My sister-in-law insisted on making tea, and of course, we refused. "Let us do it," argues Ethan. "You're tired as hell." Being a single mother and all.

Ironically, we both reached here at the same time. I encouraged Malli to come with me to the game. He wanted to revise and have quality-time. Rose is at home with Mum.

"Don't test me, Malla."

Ethan fought for a comment. He unzips his jacket. "Is the little man sleeping?"

"It's way past his bedtime."

Ethan pouts. "I wanted us to watch a movie."

Mike and Makayla met at a club, through Luke, in their undergraduate years. They fell in love, got pregnant with Kaison before marriage. 

Makayla's family are Tamil villagers, and thus she was predictably frowned upon. Most of society is still attached to olden norms. Mike was next to Makayla, hand in hand, when she cautiously enlightened her parents on the issue. 

Sadly, they disowned her, slut-shamed her, angering my brother who grabbed the phone, shouted at them, and ended the call. Then he wrapped his arms around her, hushed her calm as she cried.

Luckily, during that time, Dad was at home. Mum interlocked her hands around her future daughter-in-law. 'I, too, come from a, ah, outdated family. So I understand this fear to be a perfect child.'

'They won't listen,' sobbed Makayla. She claimed responsibility. 'No matter what I say, Aunty, they won't listen.'

'They like to stay in a bubble,' agreed Mum. 'You have no fault in this—'

'I do.'

'No, dear, you never did.' She emphasised again: 'You never did. Your parents are examples of bastards for not considering supporting you. Don't give a damn about what people think. It is your life, why should you waste it by pleasing others?' Mum wiped Makayla's cheeks. 'I advise you to get an abortion, if you wish—'

'They'll hate me more.' They hated her for getting pregnant, they hated her if she considered abortion.

Mum repeated, her tone a little firm, 'Why be concerned about others' opinions of you?' She squeezed their grip. 'You must put yourself first. Your health matters more. It is your body, it is your choice. If you don't want to, that is perfectly fine.'

'I ... I don't want to.'

'Then stop crying.' Mum wiped her eyes again. 'It's not good for you, nor it is good for the baby.'

Makayla nodded, inhaled a deep breath, her chest sunk in an exhale. 'I don't—I don't know how I can do this alone.'

'You're not alone, duwa. You have Julian and me to help you raise this child.'

Papa, Aachchie and Seeya also helped. They were outraged that Makayla's parents discarded her, and were even tempted to pay a visit to Sri Lanka to talk to them. But that wasn't needed. Overall, my family was better than hers in regards to compassion. Alongside that, they had the benevolence of their friends to assist in raising Kaison. In fact, the second Mike and Makayla decided not to abort, Luke already found a baby stroller.