Chapter Thirty-Nine

SONG: Nelly Furtado - Maneater

More Derek::

🌸

Derek Matthews

She swats strings of rubber off the design. "Does your Security annoy you? You can't ever leave the house without them."

"I can leave without them," I say. "Sometimes. Depending on the circumstances. Overall, no. They're nice, and blend perfectly with the background that I forgot they're there."

Take the offence, Hamilton.

Duke scuttles closer, situating his head on my chest, closing his dark-pearls. Atlas is out cold, snoring softly.

Fifteen minutes later, she is finished. She jerks the blanket over her, facing me as we converse longer.

"So, the orphanage hotel is the first act you'll do once you take over?"

I rub my eyes, suppressing a yawn. "Yes."

"What is next?"

"Tackle climate change and poverty."

Dad tried to fight poverty, starting off in the UK first. Of course, he was warned to stop. I can endeavour and accomplish his dream, as his dream is mine. I'm not scared of anyone. If I get killed or whatever, someone else will do it for me.

Perhaps that is what makes me the villain.

April fell asleep first. She always strangely falls asleep, even within a second of a beginning conversation.

I stared the polaroids longer, the haze of today's events swarming my train of thoughts. The murder. The confession. Proclaimed guilty. Mother.

I watch the news on my phone, listening to their insights. "To any newcomers," says the reporter of Sky News, "we are currently discussing the new shed of light. Weeks ago, a young black male offender was believed to have committed suicide in Wallbank Hill, located in Edgewater, which is where we are now."

She waves a hand to the building behind her, guarded by domineering, malicious gates.

"However, earlier this evening, we have received rectification that the alleged rapist was, in fact, a victim of a homicide. Prison guard, Jack Daniels, bizarrely came forward and confessed that he infused a toxic substance, currently unlabelled by forensics, into a vent that lead to Bodie Banks's prison cell. His lungs have been somewhat corroded. It seems Bodie Banks died ten minutes after inhaling the chemicals. He fought for his life after what must be Jack Daniels entering his cell in the dead of night for suffocation, and consequently his windpipe has been fractured at the intensity of the manslaughter."

The screen shows the newsroom. "Now, we are receiving another load of devastating news," says a male reporter. "Pop singer Bloom Carter has been found dead after a car crash in Manhattan—"