Chapter Fourty-Three

SONG: Cannons - Fire For You

🌷

April Levesque

During the car ride, Derek apprised the issue to, "She doesn't want to come to the hospital, Dr Levesque."

"Fuck you," I mouthed.

"She said she wanted to fuck me."

He veers a whack, his body juddering in laughter. "I did not."

"The hospital is too full," says Mum. She decided to pop in and assist due to the protests. "My shifts have been doubled. I'll have to pull an all-nighter. April, are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah."

"She looks like shit. If it is okay with you, Dr Levesque, I will treat her at my house."

"I was going to mention that. April, Nanga, Malli and you will stay at his house overnight..." Papa, Aachchie and Seeya packed up a few clothes to give to some of Marlene's workforce and will bring Rose here. She trusts Marlene enough.

I felt so bad for her. She works so much. "Mum, take care of yourself."

"I will."

"Dr Levesque," adds Derek, "thank you for your service."

The Matthews Manor is as stupendous as a castle — contemporary and centenarian, cached in the rural outskirts. Four-storey and white-walled. Blue roofs and a domed rotunda in the centre. The front yard is as immense as an acre or so: neatly-trimmed bushes, petite fountains and a larger, dominant one in the centre before the mahogany-black, heavy double doors, its golden handles engraved of a lion.

Lacking a single speck of dust, the entrance hall is sumptuous and efficiently decorated with marvellous designs printed on the pearl-polished floor. It has a bifurcated staircase and poles supporting the first platform. A glorious, diamond chandelier hangs from the vaulted ceiling.

Footsteps groans a section of oldness. Tanner descends the staircase in threes, his brows pitched in alarm. "Are you okay?" He grips my shoulders, his warm eyes enlarging as he absorbs the sight. "You look disgusting."

I mutter, "Thanks."

He stares at Derek. "A cop hit her?"

"Yes. He was about to hit her again—"

"Again?"

"—I got there just in time."

Tanner observes the bruise forming on Derek's cheek. "Good. You should be at the hospital, Ape," he adds the last part sharply.

"That's what I said. But no. She's stubborn."

"I'm not stubborn."

"You are," they say in sync.

Tanner inquires something in French, and for a while they blatantly discussed, nearly forgetting my presence.

Duke barks at an elderly, white-haired gentleman emerging from a left corridor, in a grey sweater, vintage trousers and a golden watch, emitting a delicate aroma. He observes us, stalling. "Is something the matter?"

"Gareth," says Derek, "this is April. April — this is Gareth Griffiths, our butler."

"Ah, I remember why you seem so similar. Your brother. Naughty bunch they were—always kept the house in chaos. At any rate, Madame Marlene enlightened the changes. Your room is being prepared as we speak. Is there anything you would like us to do?"