Chapter Twenty Five: I Don't Remember

Start from the beginning

"Baby, you're awake! This is amazing", he said. I smiled back. "Are you okay?" he asked. I shook my head. "What's the matter? Should I call the nurse?" he asked almost deliriously. I shook my head.

"No... I just don't know why I'm here. I can feel my legs and arms are painful... And... My voice is damaged... But, I have no clue as to why", I explained. He frowned at me.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Well, I am pretty sure when you asked me out yesterday, you weren't bringing me to a date in the hospital... So why am I here?" I asked. Lindo looked like he couldn't believe what I was saying. His mouth hung open as if he was in shock. "What?" I asked. He cleared his throat and scratched the back of his head.

"Baby, let me get you the doctor, okay? I'll be right back", he said, looking unsure of the situation.

"Lindo, I can call the nurse and they'll get the doctor", I said pointing at the nurse call device. "I don't exactly want to be left alone here", I told him. He nodded, came back to sit next to me and I pressed the button.

"Are you in pain?" he asked.

"I know it's there, but I feel numb. I mean, my hands and arms are covered in gauze and so are my legs. I see the blood, but it's just numbing", I told him. The nurse walked into the ward.

"Good morning you two. Thando, how are you feeling?" she asked. I frowned because, first of all, I didn't want this woman in the ward. Secondly, I had no idea why I didn't want her there because, I don't know her. I squeezed Lindo's hand. He looked at me, and then from the look on my face, he looked like he recalled something. He cleared his throat.

"Sorry ma'am... Don't you by any chance have a male nurse available right now?" he asked. My frown deepened. What was wrong with me? And what did Lindo know?

"Oh yes... I'm sorry, I forgot. I'll get him right away", she said hurriedly.

"What was that about?" I asked my boyfriend. He shrugged.

"I think it's best we wait for the doctor, yeah?" he replied. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Am I dying or something? You're being very strange", I commented. He tried to laugh, but it didn't come out like a laugh, but more like a light-hearted scoff.

"You're not dying. I just don't want to do or say anything that'll trigger something bad", he admitted. Right...

A few minutes passed, and instead of a male nurse walking in, a male doctor (whose name tag read Dr. Watson) walked in. He smiled at me and crossed the room quickly.

"Morning Lindo and Thando. I'm Dr. Watson", he introduced. I smiled.

"Morning", both Lindo and I said.

"Doc, before you do anything, Thando doesn't seem to remember what happened. I think her memory extends to about the time I asked her out on a date yesterday", Lindo said.

"Is that true, Thando?" the doctor asked. I shrugged.

"Well, I don't remember how I ended up on this bed, or how I got the bandages on my arms and legs. I do remember that Lindo asked to take me out yesterday after I was on the phone with a friend of ours Perfect", I said. "There's a huge gap between that time and now", I added. Dr. Watson scribbled something on his paper board.

"Okay... Let me first check your vitals, and we'll continue from there", he said. I nodded. After he was done, he spoke up again. "Alright, I'm going to ask you a series of questions to try and gauge where your memory extends, okay? Please try and answer as truthfully as you can, alright?" I nodded.