Chapter 54: Friends, Old and New Alike

Arndolfr quietly walked towards the Pokémon League pavilion with his bike neatly folded in his bag and Vladimir hovering beside him. It was apparent that Ash and Ritchie had only gotten back recently, since they've just started giving back the stolen Pokéballs to their trainers.

Amongst the crowd, Arndolr could see Lucy and Lt. Surge run towards him, relief evident on their faces.

"Dolph! We've been worried sick!" Lucy cried out, trapping Arndolfr in an inescapable hug.

"Yeah, I can totally see that," Arndolfr replied. "But at least now I can assure you that I'm quite alright. Well, more than alright, as a matter of fact. I'm fantastic! Really fantastic!"

"Hey, I see that you finally caught yourself your sixth Pokémon," Lt. Surge commented after Lucy released him from the hug. "Don't tell me that your only purpose of running away and spending the night in the wilderness is to try and catch a Pokémon. You know very well that you could have just asked for our help."

"Ah yes, Lieutenant, about that..." Arndolfr began then turned to the Beedrill. "Vladimir, you've already met Lucy back in Pewter City. That large guy there is Lt. Surge. We met him in Vermilion City."

As Arndolfr expected, Lt. Surge sported a look of confusion while Lucy wore a shocked expression.

"Wait, that's Vladimir!?" Lucy demanded, still incredulous of what Arndolfr just said.

"Vladimir or not, it's good that Crane had already gotten his sixth Pokémon," Lt. Surge inserted before Arndolfr could speak. "In any case, you'll have to go to the Pokémon Village lobby. The receptionist is looking for you because she'll have to match you with your opponent for today's round. Breakfast will have to come later."

Arndolfr followed Lt. Surge and Lucy back to the Pokémon Village lobby where the receptionist was already waiting for him. There were several mini fish ponds inside the lobby, something Arndolfr didn't see last time.

"Good morning, Arndolfr Crane," the receptionist greeted him. "In order to match you to your next opponent, you'll have to fish one of the Magikarps here with labels on the. Best of luck!"

"Uh-huh, who comes up with this stuff anyways?" Arndolfr muttered as he was given a small fishing rod to fish up one of the swimming Magikarp. Eventually, he caught one that was labeled A-3.

The receptionist spoke at this point. "A-3, that means your next opponent will be..."

Right beside Arndolfr's portrait, the picture of a familiar trainer with green clothes and a green hat appeared. As if the timing was perfect, Ash, Misty, Brock, and Ritchie entered the lobby just in time to see Ritchie and Arndolfr's pictures flashed on the screen.

Arndolfr turned to Ritchie and brightly spoke, "Hey there, Ritchie! We'll be battling for the fifth round today! Let's both do our best, okay?"

At first, both Ritchie and Ash look worried, but eventually, they smiled and Ritchie replied, "Yeah, let's make this a battle we'll never forget."

"That's the spirit, guys!"

"Indeed!"

Arndolfr turned around to see both his parents walking towards them.

"Mom? Dad? You guys came!" Arndolfr cried as he ran to them and the three cuddled it out.

"Son, do you really think your Mom and I are going to miss your battle today?" Broderick chuckled.

"We'll exchange more pleasantries later," Artemis inserted, "but right now, we'll have breakfast." She then turned to Ash and said, "Ash, I think Mrs. Ketchum broke into one of the hotels' kitchens while we were on our way here. It'll only be a matter of time before our breakfast is served."