Chapter 11: A Deal is a Deal

“I am still confused as to how this got into the forest,” the Spartan stated as he was looking at the length of rope he was holding. That length of rope was the one recovered from Arndolfr’s foot from a while ago.

Everyone sat around a table inside the Pewter City Pokémon Center talking about things that needed to be discussed at the moment. They have just finished discussing about Arndolfr’s decision on letting Vladimir go back to his family and Forrest replacing Flint and Brock as the Gym Leader of Pewter City. They have just begun discussing about who left a snare in the forest that could have possibly endangered someone’s life.

“Not to speak out of appropriateness, but I could have been killed had I not bounced up and down like a ball as I fell when the rope snapped,” Arndolfr muttered, massaging his foot that has been caught by the snare.

“Well, you should have died,” Gary blurted out, “but you didn’t. Surviving an accident like that is something no one else in this room has seen before.”

“I should agree,” the Samurai added. “Not even Big Brother could have survived hitting his head on the ground from such height.”

Everyone was silent at this moment, digesting the fact that Arndolfr was alive and well and is sitting with them inside the Pokémon Center.

“Does Viridian Forest have… something like a guardian that lives in it?” Arndolfr asked after a full minute of silence.

“Not that I know of,” Forrest answered. “If there is, someone should have told stories about it.”

“Of course,” Lucy snapped her fingers when she remembered something. “I’ve heard of a Pokémon that serves as the guardian of Ilex Forest in Johto Region. There must be a similar guardian that lives in Viridian Forest and the reason that no one’s heard of it is that it’s a mythical Pokémon.”

“A mythical Pokémon?” Arndolfr repeated, fascinated about the idea.

“They’re called as such because even experts are doubting their existence,” Lucy continued. “There have been inadequate proof for their existence to the extent that they don’t even show themselves to humans and other Pokémon.”

“If you’re talking about Mew, then I think you’re on the right track,” Flint said.

“What? Mew? Do you think Mew is guarding Viridian Forest?” the Samurai asked. “If so, I should have seen it sometime.”

“No, I don’t think so,” Flint replied in a low voice. “It’s true that Mew roams Kanto, but it’s not clear as to where exactly. Besides, spotting it is impossible because it can transform its appearance into other Pokémon.”

“I see,” the Spartan said. “But in any case, that doesn’t change the fact that someone installed a snare in Viridian Forest. It might be possible that there are other traps in the forest and Pokémon and other people are getting caught in them as we speak.”

“Those hooded people from before,” Arndolfr remembered. “They’re possibly the ones who put them there. I remember the first time I tried to enter the forest, and two people wearing the same uniforms blocked my way, forcing me to go back.”