Chapter 31: The Lapras' Song

"Dolph, I have to say, despite seeing you in that set of clothes, I can't really laugh at you too much," Broderick chuckled as he looked at his son with a small smile. "You look, if I have to use that word, elegant."

Over his usual sleeveless white shirt, blue shorts, and headband, Arndolfr now wore a white and gray dress that was a somewhat tight fit around his body and legs but had long and very loose sleeves.

"You got that right, Sir Crane," piped up a girl only a few years older than Arndolfr, offering up a high five to her Ditto that was perched on her shoulder. "He doesn't have to wear a wig anymore, too. He looks better this way. Judging by how Dolph... or Delphina looks like right now, I have to say that I nailed it."

"Duplica, thanks again for coming here when I asked for you," Lt. Surge thanked the girl that gave Arndolfr the dress.

"Ahaha! No problem, Lieutenant!" Duplica answered happily. "When you called me, I initially thought it was something very serious - don't look at me like that, Lieutenant," she then suddenly snapped when Lt. Surge cast her an incredulous stare. "Getting a call from a member of the armed forces can give anyone a heart attack, mind you, so don't blame me if I panicked first. It's just tactful of you to say that you just needed my services for something minor such as this boy's Gym Battle. I did hear that they seldom allow boys in there, so I can totally see why he needed the dress."

"I can hardly believe it myself," Arndolfr muttered, slightly flailing his arms to straighten up his oversized sleeves. Though they were indeed too wide for his arms, they still opened up just long enough to show his fingertips. "But would they really allow me to go in there just because I'm wearing women's clothes?"

"Not that I'd know it, but I think so," Lucy answered, though uncertainly. "That Ash was able to enter with that tacky dress of his. They'd have no choice but to let you in as well, with that more elegant dress of yours."

Arndolfr sighed loudly and said, "I certainly wish I could say that I really know what I'm doing."

"Come on, son," Broderick encouraged him, "it's not everyday that you get to wear a dress so you may as well make the best out of it."

"Daddy, you don't really mean that, do you?" Arndolfr responded disbelievingly.

"Of course I don't," Broderick chuckled. "But all the same, I still wish you the best of luck on your battle with the Gym Leader. Being your fourth Gym challenge, it's going to be tough, I daresay."

Duplica then spoke up. "Well guys, I believe my work here is done. Dolph, I mean, Delphina, you can keep that dress. I got tons of them anyway, so there's no need to worry. Besides, Lt. Surge will be paying it for you. Feel free to call me anytime, Lieutenant."

"Will do, Duplica," Lt. Surge answered as Duplica bade them all farewell.

Lucy then cast everyone a bored look and said, "Well, there's no point to stare at each other now. Why don't we go to the Gym now?"

All four them marched towards the Celadon City Gym where Ash entered a few minutes ago.

"This feels super wrong," Arndolfr mumbled as he stood right in front of the door of the Gym.

"It's too late to turn back now," Lt. Surge replied in a nonchalant voice. "You better open that door or we'll be here all day."

Arndolfr rolled his eyes and sighed before pushing the door before him.

The place itself is full of plants that filled the whole place with a lovely scent. It's colored green everywhere you look. The Gym Leader might as well build a perfume shop with all the scents he's smelling, Arndolfr thought.