Chapter 25: Sabrina's Big Mistake

"What could he be up to?" asked Arndolfr at no one in particular while he was still inside Lucy's room.

"Well, for all I know, you're probably in for some seriously tough training," Lucy answered. "This is Lt. Surge we're talking about. Getting into the army requires lots and lots of tough training, and even more to get into his position as lieutenant."

"Hmm, yeah," Arndolfr breathed as he imagined himself having very rigorous training with his Pokémon under Lt. Surge. "Well, I'd better see what he's up to. I'll have to go through whatever it is sooner or later."

"Yup, so why not sooner?" Lucy commented as Arndolfr got out of her room and shut the door gently.

Arndolfr only had to take a few paces in order to reach Lt. Surge's room. He knocked on the door thrice and tried to open the door, but it was locked from the inside.

Just then, Lt. Surge called from inside his room. "In the morning, I have four legs. In the afternoon, I have two. By nightfall, I have three. What am I?"

Arndolfr rolled his eyes and answered, "Lieutenant, you're obviously a man. Those are the kinds of riddles they ask back in Trainers' School."

"I don't appreciate belittling riddles like these, but you're correct," Lt. Surge then called from inside his room and finally opened the door.

"So Lieutenant, what is this that you wanted to show me?" Arndolfr asked straight to the point before Lt. Surge could say anything else.

Lt. Surge didn't speak this time. Instead, he pointed at the monitor of a PC inside his room, which showed an Abra.

"That's an Abra," Arndolfr said blandly, staring blankly at the computer monitor.

"Exactly, an Abra," Lt. Surge repeated. "The only thing that you should worry about during your battle with the Saffron City Gym Leader."

"Wait, what?" Arndolfr blurted out. "Exactly what do you mean by that, Lieutenant?"

"You heard me, Crane," Lt. Surge replied. "Or to put it more precisely, that Abra would be the only Pokémon you'll be facing on your upcoming Gym Battle."

"Are you serious, Lieutenant?" Arndolfr asked incredulously. "I mean, the person I'll be facing is a Gym Leader. Are you sure this is the only Pokémon he'll be using for our battle? Besides, we're not even sure if that Abra was actually trained for intense battles, you know."

"'She,'" Lt. Surge corrected Arndolfr, pushing a button on the keyboard, flashing another picture on the monitor, this time, the picture of a straight black-haired woman with severe blue eyes and a tight expression. "The worst thing we can expect from Sabrina's Abra would be Confusion and Barrier, but on that level, I bet my badge that it only knows Teleport and nothing else."

"So her name is Sabrina?" Arndolfr breathed as he kept on looking at her picture on the computer. "Why do I get the feeling that she looks so familiar?"

"Hmm, who knows?" Lt. Surge grunted. "Anyways, this is classified information, Crane. You and I could get arrested for this if anyone found out that I've been disseminating information before you actually faced the Gym Leader you're about to battle, but since we need to get to Celadon City at the soonest possible time, well, I'd say desperate times call for desperate measures. That's the reason why I asked you the riddle a while ago."

Arndolfr snorted and replied, "For something to be called 'classified,' the security measures you've implemented seemed to be a bit lax. You could have at least gave me a more difficult riddle like, 'I'm in the middle of middle and end of end. What am I?' Yeah, something like that."