Chapter 50: Mewtwo and the Myth Awakened

It became apparent to Arndolfr that it was possible to negotiate his way out of punishment by volunteering to do the dishes every single day because Artemis and Broderick had shortened his punishment time from a month to three weeks. And now, after the third week of him being grounded and having been disallowed to leave Pallet Town during that time period, Arndolfr walked alone towards Viridian City for his eighth Gym Battle He had a good three weeks of training and during this time, Legolas finally evolved into a Venusaur and Plutarch into a Marowak. Arndolfr was also able to bring out the rest of his Pokémon's potential, especially Geronimo who now managed to recharge faster after using Blast Burn.

But all the while, he had kept the Genesect he caught back in Cinnabar Island a secret, including from Prof. Oak and his parents. Arndolfr decided that it was just too dangerous to show all around, especially that it was beyond homicidal when he first encountered it. He had read about the Genesect in his Pokédex, though. He learned that it is a Bug and Steel-type Pokémon and had really powerful moves.

Not wishing to see its real strength, Arndolfr decided against using the Genesect in the Pokémon League. The Genesect was just too powerful in his opinion, and it wouldn't be fair for those who did their best to train their Pokémon from the beginning.

As he trudged through Route 1, he was confident that his five Pokémon would be able to come through this last Gym Battle that stands on his way to the Pokémon League. Though he doesn't know what type the last Gym specializes in, Arndolfr knew that he has a well-rounded team that can probably cover up for any of his weaknesses and also focus on his strengths. That, and he had been armed with precious knowledge about battling given to him by Prof. Oak. He was also able to have a lot of practice battles with Ash Ketchum before he, Misty, and Brock went to a far-off island to deliver something important. As of now, they haven't arrived yet, but Arndolfr thought it better than to wait for them to get back before challenging the Viridian City Gym which was, for some reason, was closed off when he first arrived in the city. Then again, the Gym Leader might be super strong, and Geronimo as a Chimchar alone won't be able to handle their overwhelming power, had he challenged it beforehand.

Finally arriving in Viridian City, Arndolfr decided to visit the Pokémon Center first for a last-minute check-up to make sure that all of his Pokémon are in top shape.

"Say, are you perhaps challenging the Viridian City Gym?" Nurse Joy asked.

"Yes, Nurse Joy," Arndolfr answered enthusiastically. "I've been training for three weeks for this battle."

Nurse Joy then looked wryly at him. "Well, good luck with your Gym Battle. I wish you the best. All five of your Pokémon are in tip-top shape, by the way."

"Erm, thanks, Nurse Joy," Arndolfr thanked her, but then asked, "Nurse Joy, is there something I need to know about the Viridian City Gym before I challenge it?"

"Well," Nurse Joy hesitated, but finally spoke, "all of the trainers that come back to this Pokémon Center after challenging the Viridian City Gym all had their Pokémon completely beaten to a pulp. I've been hearing among them that the Gym Leader had been using a very powerful Pokémon that hasn't been registered to any of their Pokédexes. They say that it's an unknown Pokémon which no one else had been able to tame before."

Arndolfr became extremely worried because of this. "Nurse Joy, how do you think my Pokémon would fare in the battle against the Viridian City Gym Leader?"

Nurse Joy was quiet for a long while, but then answered, "Speaking as a Nurse, I have treated so many trainers' Pokémon that, if I may say so myself, are a lot stronger than yours, but they still have been easily defeated by the Gym Leader's one Pokémon. I'm sorry to say this, but your Pokémon won't stand a chance, let alone only five Pokémon."